Linton on Ouse

Started by Alex, April 23, 2022, 07:37:52 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

We're managing to pay 4 million a day for bed & board

Diasi

We were one of the top net contributors to the EU funds for all of our membership of the EU.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

Quote from: JBR on August 15, 2022, 10:04:12 PMIt doesn't matter how many MPs they control, a referendum would be held among the voting population of the country.
Even if a return to the EU was carried, I'd be surprised if the EU wanted us to join.  After all, our country is probably not very attractive to them now!
You clearly didn't understand what I posted twice already.

It's the GB government that has to grant an independence referendum to any GB member country wanting one. Granting that referendum is the price the SNP would demand to allow Labour to form a government in Westminster if they didn't have the numbers to do so on their own or with other partners. With 45 SNP MPs in Westminster right now there is a very good chance that they could hold the balance of power after the next election.

The EU is an irrelevance and nothing at all to do with it.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 15, 2022, 10:29:53 PMYou clearly didn't understand what I posted twice already.

It's the GB government that has to grant an independence referendum to any GB member country wanting one. Granting that referendum is the price the SNP would demand to allow Labour to form a government in Westminster if they didn't have the numbers to do so on their own or with other partners. With 45 SNP MPs in Westminster right now there is a very good chance that they could hold the balance of power after the next election.

The EU is an irrelevance and nothing at all to do with it.
If the SNP want independence and they can get enough people to vote for it in a referendum, then let them have their independence.

Personally, I'd prefer that Scotland remains in the UK for our mutual benefit.

However, if they want to go, then let them go.  It would save England a lot of money.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

My posts were about the way they would get the referendum. Right now they have not been granted permission to hold one.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended