Lincoln Christmas Market

Started by Alex, December 04, 2023, 09:57:09 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

One of the UK's longest-running Christmas markets has been cancelled.   The Labour council decided to cancel it, due to safety concerns as it was 'too popular' !

I suppose this should be under the "You Couldn't Make It Up " section, but hey it's famous and such a shame people won't be able to enjoy it this year.  Last year 320,000 people flocked to the market, generating an estimated £15million for the city's economy, why would you turn that down  ?

dextrous63

Raven

The biggest one here is in Edinburgh, thousands attend even staying a few days in a hotel and making a break of it. I would not go as I hate crushing crowds, sardines in a tin doesn't begin to cover it. 7 Weeks of crazy.

klondike

Northampton used to have the biggest market square in the country. It currently looks like a bombsite "being developed" and has done for months. The rumour is that the council are trying to kill the market off for some reason. They had already almost achieved that anyway as it was down to a shadow of its former self anyway.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/people/northamptons-market-traders-speak-out-about-their-terrible-groundhog-day-existence-in-quiet-car-park-4426565

Traders are halfway through their stint down at their temporary location in Commercial Street and are expected to return to the Market Square in Summer 2024, when £10m refurbishment works are complete.

By the time that "refurb" is complete the traders will have all gone out of business.

Scrumpy

How sad is that.. Due to safety concerns.. !!

The (enemy) we have to worry about is nutters with guns and bombs... 
 The Government have brought it about by allowing all sorts into the country.. Tradition has gone out of the window..

Talking of tradition.. What about kids playing Conkers..!!
Not allowed in the schools.. should they hurt their fingers..
We played conkers.. I don't remember anyone losing an eye..
We made slides in the playground when the snow fell..
The little school opposite my house has a man come out early in the morning to clear up any snow , even a dusting, that might be a ( danger ) to the children.. :boo: :nooo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

These came after I left school. I'm pretty sure they earned a well deserved ban. Apart from the racket driving you mad you could do some damage to your own hand or just about any bit of somebody else with them. Most were red iirc

Raven

ansu

I spent some days in Regensburg and the guide told us that there are about 10 Christmas markets - every market has another "speciality". We visited three of them. However, I am not really a fan of those markets as they are very crowded. 
In our town we don't have a real Christmas market, but a so-called Christmas village where mainly food and mulled wine (Glühwein) is sold. 

Ashy

We have two enemies. Lunatics who want to kill us and terrorists.

klondike

There used to be a German themed Christmas market here but there hasn't been one in some years now. The town centre is probably just too depressing. I virtually never go into town any more.

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on December 04, 2023, 06:04:43 PMHow sad is that.. Due to safety concerns.. !!

The (enemy) we have to worry about is nutters with guns and bombs...
 The Government have brought it about by allowing all sorts into the country.. Tradition has gone out of the window..

Talking of tradition.. What about kids playing Conkers..!!
Not allowed in the schools.. should they hurt their fingers..
We played conkers.. I don't remember anyone losing an eye..
We made slides in the playground when the snow fell..
The little school opposite my house has a man come out early in the morning to clear up any snow , even a dusting, that might be a ( danger ) to the children.. :boo: :nooo:

Better prepare for it, Labour were always about regulations and stressing individualism.

Now with scrotes like Khan etc they'll stifle all joys of freedom and independent creation.

Big Brother is just around the Corner and his name is Citizen Starmer - get ready ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

ansu

I am not too familiar with the situation in the UK, but here in Germany money isn't spent as quickly and generously as before all the crises and prices have gone up everywhere. In our paper I read that the Christmas markets are crowded, but I am not sure whether people are as eager to buy something as before.

klondike

I guess it's a bit like going to a funfair - plenty go to the fair but not necessarily on the rides. The atmosphere itself attracts many (as well as repelling others). I think the food and drink stalls must have made most profit on the one that came here several times. The craft goods were clever and nice to look at but probably too expensive for big numbers to be sold.

Scrumpy

I was in a garden centre yesterday.. There was a long queue for lunch..
Loads of people.. 
There is still money about.. from what I saw..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Scrumpy on December 10, 2023, 11:55:19 AM.
There is still money about.. from what I saw..

There is indeed - 20p just rolled under the settee
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]