What's the betting...

Started by klondike, October 11, 2023, 10:01:57 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Interesting footage.. A few hundred cars were lost..
Do the insurance companies pay out for this sort of damage.. ?
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Perhaps it was an incendiary device in the boot ?

klondike

It was something odd as if it is a diesel only car it takes a lot to set diesel burning. Plus it kept going well enough to set other cars burning and eventually enough to bring that roof down as the CCTV video shows.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on October 12, 2023, 10:00:07 AMIt was something odd as if it is a diesel only car it takes a lot to set diesel burning. Plus it kept going well enough to set other cars burning and eventually enough to bring that roof down as the CCTV video shows.
Indeed.  Diesel fuel takes a lot more heat to ignite it than petrol.

Are they sure it wasn't a 'hybrid' with 'exploding batteries'?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I doubt any other carpark has been destroyed by a vehicle fire. There has to be something different here. I checked and Range Rover do make diesel hybrids. I imagine it would have to be a plug in hybrid to have a big battery and they do make those.

It it does turn out to have been some sort of EV the greenies are going to be shitting bricks. There is already a weight issue with older multistory car parks.

This bloke makes the point that whatever started it there would have been EVs in there and if the fire had spread to them the thermal runaway of their batteries would have turned the problem into the disaster it was.

Cassandra

As expected not much coverage from the UK MSM. Initial fire service and insurance accessors put it down to a Tesla recharging unit igniting and then this spread to the car. But of course this is nothing to do with the cars overall risk factor whilst charging (essential) :shocked:

Sales over here are well down anyway, after all they (EV) seem as popular as Chinese phone chargers and button batteries (not).

Apparently BMW and Merc are going errrr when they see piles of the rubbish things heaping up unsold all over the 4th.Reich just now. I expect the occasional 'burn - up' helps their liquidity no end!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

I read that the fire started on the top floor and the chargers were on another floor. I suspect that the truth may get covered up. That's the trouble when all eggs are in one basket and there is a stumble.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on October 12, 2023, 05:08:11 PMAs expected not much coverage from the UK MSM. Initial fire service and insurance accessors put it down to a Tesla recharging unit igniting and then this spread to the car. But of course this is nothing to do with the cars overall risk factor whilst charging (essential) :shocked:

Sales over here are well down anyway, after all they (EV) seem as popular as Chinese phone chargers and button batteries (not).

Apparently BMW and Merc are going errrr when they see piles of the rubbish things heaping up unsold all over the 4th.Reich just now. I expect the occasional 'burn - up' helps their liquidity no end!
I agree.
I have always maintained that an attempt to oblige all drivers to eventually buy EVs, despite their many disadvantages, is an idea bound to fail.
They have also tried to convince people to buy them by removing road tax for them (I believe) a benefit which, if EVs do become more popular (which I doubt) will suddenly disappear!

2035 now!  I don't think so!  I can't imagine everyone driving around in milk floats!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

EVs do accelerate well despite the weight. You get maximum torque right from pressing the go pedal. Watch out for the rate of wear of roads increasing....

Ashy

Looking at the film "that escalated quickly" like the Bradford Stadium disaster.
Looks like some other accelerant was involved. Maybe a fuel delivery line or a gas main.