internet connection

Started by Michael Rolls, November 07, 2023, 05:41:38 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Despite BT claiming to have the most reliable internet connection, mine drops out quite often. It's only just dawned that it seems to only happen when I am on here in the relatively early hours – this morning 04:30. Switching the router off, leaving it for a few minutes and switching back on restores the connection. It has only started happening about three months or so ago. Is it just coincidence? When I sit down at the computer in the morning, I usually use it for an hour or, sometimes a bit more. It is very rare for me to use for that length of time at any other part of the day. I couldn't swear that it only happens when I am on this site, but it does seem like it. Any ideas?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Few people around at 4:30 other than those kicking in doors because their targets will be asleep. I expect that the ISPs use the early hours for network maintenance. 

I set up a ThinkBroadband monitor on a personal webpage and often see short outages in the early hours. I won't suggest you do as it does involve setting up what is called a dynamic DNS and ensuring your home router responds to network pings. This is mine though.

Green is the baseline time to respond, the little gaps are when the monitor itself missed checking, the yellow spikes are when it took a bit longer to respond and outages are in red,

Michael Rolls

Thanks - it's not a problem, just a minor nuisance and as my early morning computer time on here exceeds everything else combined, guess it's law of averages
[email protected]

klondike

There's nothing on here or probably any site that can cause your internet to break.

Your router should automatically recover any outages without you needing to do anything. There's usually nobody  around to do anything when they do have a fiddle about with their kit.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

I have occasionally had to power cycle my ONT - optical network terminator - a little modem that goes on the fibre and converts it to ethernet that goes into the router. 

Your box will have a modem and router. When the modem loses its session the router is supposed to get it to reconnect. Same with my router and ONT. Obviously they sometimes fail.

dextrous63

Have you checked the pilot light?

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Ashy

Simpler than that, it's when the cleaners at the exchange need the socket for the hoover.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on November 08, 2023, 09:36:01 AMSimpler than that, it's when the cleaners at the exchange need the socket for the hoover.
🤣🤣🤣
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63