Good Morning, Whatcha Up To The Day?

Started by Raven, December 15, 2021, 12:33:18 PM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

Deep pockets too!

Six weeks on from my trip to A&E and my knee is still problematic. I thought about what Raven and Alex said about their ongoing knee issues, and I'm not hopeful. Stairs are the worst! I've carried on exercising in the pool, but I'm hardly walking anywhere.

I rang the GP, and have been referred to a physio this afternoon, that's a first for me.   
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

GrannyMac... I wish you all the best.. Legs are a bloody nuisance when they don't work properly..  
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

all the best, Granny - hope your legs improve. There were times when Veronica's legs just couldn't support her weight (she was under 8 stone) and that really made life difficult
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

I'm sorry to hear about your knee GM. :worried: Can I ask if you have had an Xray or a MRI? If not then you should (IMO) ask for one. Prodding, poking and guessing are not the way to go, you need to find out for sure what's going on inside your knee.  It's what I did when my original accident happened and it wasn't healing.

-Oy-

Fingers crossed for a good result Grannymac. Hope you get better NHS Physio that I did when I came out of hospital after Covid. They did it via Zoom :nooo:

August 02, 2022, 09:23:41 AM
Day 2 of the new bathroom and he's here putting the new floor joists in.

Also tried my new coffee machine this morning and once I'd decypered the little pictures that were the instructions had a nice brew. I had to get a new one becasue the old one didn't match the new kitchen Mrs Oy wants :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Alex

Good luck with the physio GM , I gave up on mine.  I agree with Raven about asking for an MRI, I didn't and just trusted the hospital doctor who gave me an X-ray.  He said all it told him was that there was nothing broken, he "guessed" it was a damaged ligament.  The physio, 12 months later said on my notes was written "facet joint meniscal injury" so two years on on 6th August I still don't know what's wrong.  I hope this doesn't happen to you, but as you walk awkwardly to compensate for the knee, the back and hip start playing up too !  :boo:

Raven

Alex is correct, Because I had to walk differently to compensate for my knee pain I ended up having to get the 2nd one done as well. I was only 42 when I first tore the cartilage in my knee and I've never been right since.
One thing that  may help is going to the pool before your class early, and get into a corner and do your exercises there instead of on land so to speak. The water makes it so much easier and mostly painless.  Also the pool attendants are usually good at giving you specific exercises to do if you ask them and explain what's what with your knee.

-Oy-

Quote from: Raven on August 02, 2022, 11:58:29 AMAlex is correct, Because I had to walk differently to compensate for my knee pain I ended up having to get the 2nd one done as well. I was only 42 when I first tore the cartilage in my knee and I've never been right since.
I did similar about 25 years ago. Tore the inside ligament in my left knee wrestling - and it didn't heal properly. The change in my gait threw my right hip out which needed more treatment than the knee!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Scrumpy

All of a sudden my (occasional)  Sciatica doesn't seem so bad...

Raven

Quote from: -Oy- on August 02, 2022, 01:21:03 PMI did similar about 25 years ago. Tore the inside ligament in my left knee wrestling - and it didn't heal properly. The change in my gait threw my right hip out which needed more treatment than the knee!

It was because of my sisters dog I tore mine. :cry: The dogs had been in the river for a cooling swim and Sal came running up the boat slipway, straight towards me, she had a long coat full of water. As she started to shake I whipped around to get out of the firing line and the movement caused the tear, it was agony. Such a simple thing and years of misery and pain.

Michael Rolls

ligament damage is - as you ladies already appreciate - a really nasty business. It is a common problem amongst Rugby players, for young men who can expect to be out of action for six months despite dedicated physio regimes
Mike
[email protected]

-Oy-

From my diploma in Sports science / kinesiology and physiology.

Muscles have a great blood supply and therefore heal quickly.

Tendons join muscles to bone - and also have a decent bloos supply so heal reasonable well.

Ligamants however join bone to bone and are to stabilise a structure like a joing. They have little to no blood supply which is why they take so long to heal.

GrannyMac

You've all cheered me up, not! The physio said it's age related wear and tear (no shit Sherlock), but he has referred me to the musculoskeletal (sp?) dept at the hospital, might get it x-rayed or scanned there. It mainly hurts and feels unsteady on stairs and steps, so we're getting a handrail up to the back door, as I don't think its going away any time soon. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

Oy
Thanks for that - often wondered why ligaments take so long
Mike
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Quote from: GrannyMac on August 02, 2022, 11:36:21 PMYou've all cheered me up, not! The physio said it's age related wear and tear (no shit Sherlock), but he has referred me to the musculoskeletal (sp?) dept at the hospital, might get it x-rayed or scanned there. It mainly hurts and feels unsteady on stairs and steps, so we're getting a handrail up to the back door, as I don't think its going away any time soon. 
Now you know.. It's your age..  Bring out the stick..!!