UN security council

Started by klondike, September 20, 2023, 10:06:15 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Looks like there may be moves afoot to oust Russia. Our most recent flouncer Теасhеr will be most put out I'm sure. Can't say I'm over pleased with the continuing climate change narrative myself.

Peace without justice is dictatorship, says Germany's Scholz
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz warned of "phony solutions" in the search for peace in Ukraine during his speech at the United Nations General Assembly.

"For peace without freedom is called oppression. Peace without justice is called dictatorship. Moscow must finally understand that," Scholz said, calling on Russian President Vladimir Putin to end the war.

Ukrainians were "fighting for their lives and their freedom for the independence and territorial integrity of their country, for the preservation of the very principles to which we all committed ourselves in the UN Charter," Scholz said.

"And it is Russia's president who can end it (the war) at any time with a single order," he added.

Scholz backed Secretary-General Antonio Guterres' comments about the need for reform of the UN Security Council.

Scholz said the UN must "reflect the reality of a multipolar world" and that has not been the case so far. "Nowhere is this more obvious than in the composition of the Security Council."

The German leader said that human-induced climate change was the greatest global challenge of our times. He added Germany was fulfilling its pledges on international climate financing.

"From €2 billion in 2014 to €4 billion in 2020, we tripled our contribution last year to €6 billion. This means we are keeping our word," Scholz said.

https://p.dw.com/p/4WZw5

klondike

Ah - further reading shows it's more a case of Germany wanting a seat at the table. As all the Security Council members have nukes and Germany doesn't I can't see that going very far.