Did they ever get this wrong....

Started by Ashy, April 08, 2024, 02:02:22 PM

« previous - next »

Ashy

When I went to school, the foreign languages they taught us were French and German. 

I think the most likely foreign languages I would encounter today are Polish, Arabic and Urdu.

klondike

Lot of Romanians here too. Not many arabs that I've noticed.

I rarely go into town these days but as the hospital car park is both super expensive and often very full I usually take a bus into town and walk there. Walking through town there are a hell of a lot of foreign languages to be heard but very little English. I think most are on cellphones but quite probably don't need them if whoever they are jabbeering away at is less than half a mile away.

Ashy

Same here, we rarely hear English spoken outdoors.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on April 08, 2024, 02:02:22 PMWhen I went to school, the foreign languages they taught us were French and German.

I think the most likely foreign languages I would encounter today are Polish, Arabic and Urdu.
In a way, I'm surprised that schools don't make Urdu and Arabic the standard foreign language lessons.
On the other hand, if they all come here to live off the state, the least we should expect is that they should all learn to speak English.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Round here they don't need to teach Urdu, the kids already speak it. The teachers probably do too.

JBR

True enough, but what I meant was that schools would make Urdu and Arabic the standard language lessons for white British children!  😨😨😨
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Judd

Quote from: JBR on April 08, 2024, 04:26:03 PMIn a way, I'm surprised that schools don't make Urdu and Arabic the standard foreign language lessons.
On the other hand, if they all come here to live off the state, the least we should expect is that they should all learn to speak English.
Hasn't Khan been spouting about people having to learn Arabic? The Islam takeover continues apace.
A Noble Spirit Embiggens The Smallest Man

Scrumpy

Quote from: JBR on April 08, 2024, 09:50:21 PMTrue enough, but what I meant was that schools would make Urdu and Arabic the standard language lessons for white British children!  😨😨😨
I think you are right..

I don't hear different languages spoken around here..  
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Scrumpy

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Sometimes in the Co-op I hear very strange words.. !!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..