Started by Raven, December 05, 2022, 12:01:24 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Just what I needed to read.......Not. :yell:

FB_IMG_1670240053282.jpg

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Maybe it will be maybe it won't. The papers love to big everything up. 

Michael Rolls

-8C -- could be worse. Coldest I've experienced up here was -18C - think it may have been 2010 but not sure- but I do remember it was a but chilly!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Ashy

Global warming strikes again.

Alex

Dunno about global warming, it was colder than that in the 1970s !   :grin:

Raven

Quote from: Alex on December 05, 2022, 08:08:13 PMDunno about global warming, it was colder than that in the 1970s !   :grin:

In the 70s I was younger, fitter, very active, and didn't have poor circulation. So I just got on with things back then, no bother.  :cool:
Different story nowadays.

GrannyMac

And fuel was muuuuuchhhh cheaper!  :yell:
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Quote from: Raven on December 05, 2022, 08:37:55 PMIn the 70s I was younger, fitter, very active, and didn't have poor circulation. So I just got on with things back then, no bother.  :cool:
Different story nowadays.

I was too Raven, it was certainly easier to cope with the cold.  I was just querying whether the cold weather we're getting now is down to 'global warming' (Ashy ) or have we always had these temperatures - and worse ! 

klondike

Errrrmm....

I may have got it wrong but I'm unsure that Ashy attributing a cold spell to global warming was exactly serious.

In fact we have been seeing a lot warmer winters over the years imo. I recall weeks of frosty pavements and slides on school tarmac that would have health and safety clutching their failing hearts these days.

Plus of course snow. Real snow. Not three inches that lasts two days but still stops all the traffic and trains.

I'm  too young to recall the famous winter of 1947 but do recall one in 1963 when the snow lasted weeks right into May. Our school playing fields were on levels with a rough track running down past them into woods at the bottom. A ski jump was built as the head was a skiing nutter and we were allowed to take sleds to school  for use on the track. They also got used on the very steep slopes between levels. There was talk of somebody using one on the ski jump but I suspect it was just talk.

December 05, 2022, 10:31:11 PM
I thought it was snow til May but Wikipedia says March 6th was the first day of 1963 above freezing. Perhaps we had a little snow later but it's more likely my memory played tricks on me. Snow lasting til May would be very impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962%E2%80%931963_in_the_United_Kingdom

Raven

Quote from: Alex on December 05, 2022, 09:13:34 PMI was too Raven, it was certainly easier to cope with the cold.  I was just querying whether the cold weather we're getting now is down to 'global warming' (Ashy ) or have we always had these temperatures - and worse ! 

Me not know if it's global warming.  :hmm: I've just let Dageus out the back and had a nip round to the car OMG it's under a solid sheet of ice.  :cry: NOW, do I man up (or woman up) and start scraping or do I go back to bed, where it's nice and warm.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Ashy

Quote from: Alex on December 05, 2022, 09:13:34 PMI was too Raven, it was certainly easier to cope with the cold.  I was just querying whether the cold weather we're getting now is down to 'global warming' (Ashy ) or have we always had these temperatures - and worse ! 
I think the answer is that we have often had extremes of weather on these islands. We had mammoth floods in 1953 and the prolonged cold in the sixties and I remember the snow and ice being piled up on the pavements for weeks waiting for the thaw. According to my diary there were severe floods in eastern England in 1968 too. My roofs have snow guards and they are staying up there.

Man made global warming is something you either believe in or you don't.

Michael Rolls

I have no doubt that eight billion of us on the surface of the planet have an effect, but I do not believe that sending us all back to the stone age will achieve anything noticeable. The earth's climate is cyclical, always was, always will be.
Mike
[email protected]