Good Evening All

Started by Silver Tabby, September 10, 2022, 11:51:02 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Quote from: JBR on September 11, 2022, 12:51:38 PMI agree.  He had the bright idea of changing the forum and hopefully expanding it to attract many more members.
Sadly, it is now so full of unnecessary rules and is so keen to pull members up for using 'the wrong words'.  It is certainly no fun now.  Most of the members were very nice, but it was like walking on eggshells.
Over 50s I presume. I was an occasional visitor but when it swapped over to requiring Krypton Test finalist to make a simple post I gave up on it. Just about every forum I have ever used has been very similar to this one and then there is the new one used there.

I peeked in on the mothership and see that there are several new posters there who seem to have recently jumped ship so what finally caused that? - the forum basics changed a year or so back.

Malvina

Quote from: klondike on September 12, 2022, 06:34:16 PMOver 50s I presume. I was an occasional visitor but when it swapped over to requiring Krypton Test finalist to make a simple post I gave up on it. Just about every forum I have ever used has been very similar to this one and then there is the new one used there.

I peeked in on the mothership and see that there are several new posters there who seem to have recently jumped ship so what finally caused that? - the forum basics changed a year or so back.
I was threatened with expulsion if I mentioned the word 'bots' again,or said anything about the Members who had left or were booted out,
I don't take kindly to threats.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 12, 2022, 06:34:16 PMOver 50s I presume. I was an occasional visitor but when it swapped over to requiring Krypton Test finalist to make a simple post I gave up on it. Just about every forum I have ever used has been very similar to this one and then there is the new one used there.

Yes, that was one of my dislikes.  The method of classifying everything to the Nth degree put me off starting new posts, so I reluctantly decided just to post to existing ones.
The reason why several have now left (who have mentioned it to me personally) is that the petty rules and regulations have become even worse recently.  The man's an idiot!
Anyway, I suppose I should not discuss other forums on here, other than suggesting to the disgruntled that they might like to try this forum for a much happier life.

September 12, 2022, 07:08:21 PM
Quote from: Malvina on September 12, 2022, 07:04:52 PMI was threatened with expulsion if I mentioned the word 'bots' again,or said anything about the Members who had left or were booted out,
I don't take kindly to threats.
True.  I apologise, but I can't remember your alter ego, Malvina.  I think it began with M, though!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Malvina

Quote from: JBR on September 12, 2022, 07:06:46 PMYes, that was one of my dislikes.  The method of classifying everything to the Nth degree put me off starting new posts, so I reluctantly decided just to post to existing ones.
The reason why several have now left (who have mentioned it to me personally) is that the petty rules and regulations have become even worse recently.  The man's an idiot!
Anyway, I suppose I should not discuss other forums on here, other than suggesting to the disgruntled that they might like to try this forum for a much happier life.

September 12, 2022, 07:08:21 PMTrue.  I apologise, but I can't remember your alter ego, Malvina.  I think it began with M, though!
Correct...go to the top of the class :grin:

JBR

Quote from: Malvina on September 12, 2022, 07:14:18 PMCorrect...go to the top of the class :grin:
Henceforth, then, I shall address you as 'M'  (like James Bond's boss)!

klondike

The rules here were member decided. There is no profanity filter, no moderation and no features blocked to stop private discussions. There have been some spats and people have walked but I'm not convinced that wouldn't have happened even if there were mods. 

What we do need is more members though as the obvious search anybody would use to find a forum for pensioners leads to just one place and that will probably continue as it has been running for years so is well established. 

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 12, 2022, 07:45:51 PMWhat we do need is more members though as the obvious search anybody would use to find a forum for pensioners leads to just one place and that will probably continue as it has been running for years so is well established.
I do what I can!   :grin:

September 12, 2022, 08:25:13 PM
Quote from: Malvina on September 12, 2022, 07:14:18 PMCorrect...go to the top of the class :grin:
I'm thinking what it MAY be.

klondike

Quote from: JBR on September 12, 2022, 08:13:58 PMI do what I can!  :grin:

September 12, 2022, 08:25:13 PMI'm thinking what it MAY be.
Yes thanks for that and Raven too. 

Dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on September 12, 2022, 06:34:16 PMOver 50s I presume. 

It's become a totalitarian state and anyone who isn't progressive enough and isn't willing to comply by the new dictats are to be, and are being, eliminated.  Some people arent entirely keen on that and some are looking for a safe haven for when they've been thown into the chokey.

Scrumpy

Dextrouse63...
 I spotted you this morning.. Just want to say Welcome...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Dextrous63

Malvina

Quote from: JBR on September 12, 2022, 08:13:58 PMI do what I can!  :grin:

September 12, 2022, 08:25:13 PMI'm thinking what it MAY be.
:shocked: My cover's been blown.

klondike

Quote from: Dextrous63 on September 13, 2022, 12:54:19 AMIt's become a totalitarian state and anyone who isn't progressive enough and isn't willing to comply by the new dictats are to be, and are being, eliminated.  Some people arent entirely keen on that and some are looking for a safe haven for when they've been thown into the chokey.
Thanks for the heads up. That won't happen here. No mods was what the members decided so there are none. It's up to people to behave themselves.

Dextrous63

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 13, 2022, 09:23:21 AMThanks for the heads up. That won't happen here. No mods was what the members decided so there are none. It's up to people to behave themselves.
I think that's an excellent decision.  If people as old as we are cannot manage to behave, especially if there are no over-stringent rules (which was the problem at t'other place), then they should grow up (or down?).
Personally, I have the ideal solution.  If someone starts misbehaving, especially if it becomes personally offensive, I simply ignore them and scroll past any of their posts.  The benefit of that is that it doesn't stir up an ongoing argument.