Tourist tax being introduced in Scotland

Started by GrannyMac, May 27, 2023, 07:19:06 PM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

I wonder if Scots will get an exemption when we go home?  I believe Wales are planning to follow suit.  What next, the Lakes? Cornwall?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-65707493
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Other countries in Europe do it.  I didn't know about the tax until booking in to the hotel I was staying in in Rome. If I'd known in advance it wouldn't have stopped me going !   :grin: so I guess it's a small price to pay - if it comes off.

Jacqueline

We already pay taxes when we go on holiday, all the things we buy, eating and drinking out are subject to 20% VAT, the local economies they say rely on tourism for jobs etc. so there must be money in it for them. Greedy lot, just another way to rip us off.  

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Well I wouldn't pay for the privilege of spending my dosh visiting Scotland.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Exactly, why doesn't England charge all the Scots who work in England and nip over the border a couple of times a day and back a visa charge. Citizen Khan in London could advise and facilitate I'm sure?
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

When he gets the boot and ULEZ gets cancelled there should be plenty of secondhand cameras for sale. Well so long as they keep putting them up faster than they get vandalised anyway.

Alex

If I  understand correctly this is a local city tax, paid to the local council.  If it helps in the upkeep of historical sites I wasn't going to moan about paying a couple of quid a night ? :rolleyes:

klondike

Raven

I wouldn't worry I'm sure England will soon follow and do the same.

Michael Rolls

how do they intend to define 'tourist', I wonder?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]