Who crashed into whom?

Started by klondike, February 22, 2023, 11:01:45 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11777639/Video-Channel-5s-Dan-Walker-knocked-hit-car-cycling-Sheffield.html

Dashcam video has emerged of the moment ex-BBC presenter Dan Walker was knocked off his bike on a notorious roundabout in Sheffield city centre.

Walker, 45, was hit by a car while trying to cycle on Moore Street during morning rush hour on Monday, leaving him bloodied and bruised.

In footage from a vehicle in front of the accident, Walker can be seen on his bicycle when the rear wheel caught a car's front wing.

As the car crashed into Walker, the father of three was sent sprawling onto the tarmac and narrowly avoided going under its wheels.

The Strictly Come Dancing star lay unconscious on the road for 20 minutes and woke up to paramedics and police standing over him.

Now that text all talks about the car hitting the prat on the bike. The video that accompanies the article says to me that he pretty much hit the car rather than the car hitting him.

click to play...

Scrumpy

It looks to me that he veered towards the car.. Guilty me lord.
  No big insurance claims here..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

The story says there is an underpass he could have used too.

Cassandra

A simple mistake poor chap, he didn't seem to look to see what was coming up behind him. I haven't cycled since my schooldays, but always remember being told the human body is a big bag of blood that you gamble with at your peril.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

The sort of mistake that many on bikes make only once...

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on February 22, 2023, 04:16:56 PMThe sort of mistake that many on bikes make only once...

Yes sadly how true. Bikers seem to believe their invincible these days?

klondike

Those bloody e-scooters are worse. They are a menace on road and pavement here. Doubtless they will get rolled out nationwide still though.

Cassandra

Completely agree, over here their referred to as lightweight bicycles and are attracting a plethora of legal remits. This is of course unpopular with the snowflakes who love everything electric with the possible exception of good old 'sparky' the famed method of 'sit down please' execution. Consequently like everything else different States will legislate according to their political colour and what is known as 'brattage'. The West Coast Democrat Wokes are gainfully for them and the 'Rust felt' ones like mine, favouring strict controls as the death roll rises.

Diasi

It was the car driver's fault for being on the road in the first place & for not being able to swerve out of the way when Walker swerved in front of him / her.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Certainly looks like Walker's fault.  Horrible roundabout, Sheffield has quite a few where there is no quarter given!   
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Is there a lower age limit for these e scooters ?
I'd like a go on one, but my lad tells me I'd break my neck  :grin:

klondike

https://www.voi.com/how-to-voi/#open-mavenoid-assistant

In the UK, you must be at least 18 years old and hold a provisional or full driving licence to ride our scooters.

From memory it is very expensive unless you buy a pass - £1 to start + 20p a minute iirc.

If you can ride a bike you should be OK I would think although the wheels are small which wouldn't help stabilty. If you need to stop quick just run into a pedestrian.

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on February 23, 2023, 11:49:13 AMIt was the car driver's fault for being on the road in the first place & for not being able to swerve out of the way when Walker swerved in front of him / her.

Yes a very good point which would get loads of support on Oxford City Council, I feel sure.

As someone here said to me the other night 'I blame these damn Indians for stealing our land 2,000 years before we got here'!