If PF can have a backup forum then so can we...

Started by Mark, June 24, 2022, 09:48:55 AM

« previous - next »

Mark

The recent server outage highlighted some deficiencies in our ability to communicate in the event of a problem.

The server isn't on a managed system. It just runs in an Amazon Web Services Lightsail instance which is only looked after by whoever is renting it. It should be reliable but nothing is 100%  and there is only one geriatric looking after it. It can fail and I may well not notice it.

To try to address that I have repurposed the old 2.1 Demo forum to be a backup. 

Should there be a problem there is an announcement on it which gives my contact details. The backup can also be used should folks feel the need to talk to each other.

The backup won't be 100% either but the chances are if it is out of service it's because I'm working on it and will also be taking a reasonably frequent peek at LetsChat. I recently installed a UPS to keep my internet running when we start getting power cuts over winter thanks to Putin and I've put the Pi server on that too now. 

Please add this url to your favourites as the LetsChat backup... 

https://letschat.digitalham.co.uk/

I won't be updating the database on it as that would involve updating all the url and server specific details on it each time which is a PITA. What that means is that if you changed your forum password since that copy was made it won't have been updated and you may need to use the lost password to retrieve it. If you've changed your email too then you'll be out of luck. Of course you could keep them in step on the backup but we both know that isn't likely to happen  :wink:

Diasi

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

-Oy-

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."