launderettes,

Started by alfred, July 20, 2022, 05:26:50 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

A thought flashed through my mind regarding launderettes, in the past they were to to be seen just about everywhere, whereas today unless its me they seem like high street shops apparently slowing into decline, 

off course the modern washing machines which over time pay for them selves , but for people say living in a one roomed flat, they are a blessing for a person being able to go to one of these places and get their washing not only washed, but dried as well ready for ironing back at home,

Q; do you think launderettes are on the decline or is it only in some towns,

Ashy

There is a launderette a few hundred yards from home and it's been there a long time, but I don't know of another one in the area. Not that I am a customer, last time I used a launderette was in 1977.

-Oy-

The lovely quite estate we recently moved onto was built in the early 60s and is mainly bungalows. At the end of our street is a block with three shops - one being a launderette. Seems fairly busy but we have no use for it.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Scrumpy

I have never been inside a laundrette.. I don't know of any nearby..
They must be brilliant for people living in bed-sits..
I think most take their washing home to Mum..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Sheila

A new big, open air washing machine has just been installed in a garage near us.  Talk about washing your dirty laundry in public!

Michael Rolls

Haven't seen a launderette in years. When 'between wives' and living in Surbiton, I used one regularly, but not even seen one since 1987
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 21, 2022, 04:17:48 AMHaven't seen a launderette in years. When 'between wives' and living in Surbiton, I used one regularly, but not even seen one since 1987

Mike there are still 4 in Perth that I know of.  :wink:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Raven on July 21, 2022, 06:17:32 AMMike there are still 4 in Perth that I know of.  :wink:
Good Lord - shows how observant I am!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

1955vintage

Go to local laundrette to have bed linen ironed. At 66, my wife does not feel she should be lifting heavy linen and does not trust me to do it properly. A £10 every fortnight is within the budget.

Never seen anyone in there except a member of staff.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Alex

Iron bed linen ?  what's that all about  ?  :yay:

Jacqueline

Life is too short to iron anything that won't be warn.  I once knew a woman who ironed underware and teatowels :yell:

Alex

I agree life is too short.  At a push I'll iron pillowcases, sometimes I don't  :wink: after all who's going to see them ? :cool:  :cool:

klondike

Life is too short to iron anything that won't be worn

Fixed that for you