council tax

Started by Michael Rolls, August 08, 2023, 05:41:28 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

something that hadn't dawned on me until now. Looking at this year's council tax - the bandings are based on what the assessor reckons was the value of a property on the 1st April 1991 (this is Scotland, England may be different). As the result Band H - the highest - is for properties valued at over £212,000. Surely this is ridiculous? No idea what this house would be valued using that methodology, because it wasn't built at the time - was completed later that year
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

The same assessment is used in England Mike, 1991 values.  However, you pay quite a bit less in Scotland in any band! 

https://www.snp.org/scottish-taxpayers-get-the-best-value-in-the-uk/#:~:text=Scottish%20council%20tax%20payers%20are,is%20in%20England%20(3.5%25).

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

nice to know that something is cheaper up here for me. The bit about more Scots paying less income tax is true - but at the expense of those of us who have done more to support the economy by paying quite a bit more tax - fleece the moderately well off, never mind the rich.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]