Covid. So just who are they kidding

Started by klondike, December 22, 2021, 08:30:59 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

I'm assuming that my own very mild dose of covid which caused me less discomfort than a cold may well be typical of mild cases. I had a persistant but not severe cough. It carried on long enough that I got that muscle pain in my chest which I assume is known to all here but that was it. I think once my temperature was a degree or so high and I took a couple of paracetamol.

Anyway my "good morning google" news told me on my not-very smart speaker that quarantine may be reduced from 10 days to 7 when 2 successive LF tests show negative. I notice the BBC has put the story in Politics rather than Health which IMOis spot on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59749447
People infected with Covid in England can stop self-isolating up to three days early if they test negative twice, it has been announced.
They will now be able to end quarantine after seven days instead of 10 by providing negative lateral flow results on day six and day seven.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid said it would minimise disruption caused by the rapid spread of the Omicron variant.
He said the change was based on the latest guidance from health experts.

As it happens I retained the tests I took during my infection by the Chinese virus. This was the email I got following requesting a PCR test as I'd had a visit from and given a lift to a granddaughter who had been in contact with somebody who tested positive.

You have tested positive for COVID-19 so you must stay at home and self-isolate until 16th of August (including this date).

If you took a rapid lateral flow test, you should take a different follow-up test within 2 days. Order at https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/links/get-a-pcr-test

If you still have fever after 16th of August, you should continue to self-isolate until you feel better.

Here is a photo of the tests I took during out of interest.

As the isolation ended on 16th it must have run from the 7th. I know I posted the PCR test on a Sunday which would have been the 8th. I was still showing a faint positive on 20th four days after the end of the isolation. I had a couple of calls from test and trace on my landline one on the last day I think presumably mostly to check I was home and told them I was still testing positive on LF and they said that was normal and I could end the isolation. I extended it anyway as I didn't want to chance infecting anybody.

So my question here is assuming my case was by no means exceptional and was in fact very mild just who is going to benefit from this easing. In truth I suspect loads  because LF tests are self adnministered and self reported. Follow the science bullshit.

Michael Rolls

Must admit it leaves me puzzled. Weren't we told a few days ago that if you came into contact with a 'contact' you still had to isolate even if you tested negative?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Making it up as they go along in headless chicken mode.
:headless:

Sheila

We made the decision to self isolate after being with our granddaughter on Sunday.  She started with the virus on Monday and did a PCR which came back today as positive.  She is 14 years old and is quite poorly today. 

Our friends (both retired nurses!!) wanted us to go to the pub with them this evening for a meal but we wouldn't go.

Raven

I think you made the right decision there Sheila. 👍

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Sheila

Quote from: Alex on December 22, 2021, 10:36:38 PM
Have you done a test Sheila  ?

Yes Alex, negative yesterday and today.  I had unpacked my hospital bag which I packed after getting numerous 'death letters' from the NHS, council and GP.  I've packed it again, just in case.

When I think about it, having a hospital bag is not a bad idea.  Not being morbid, just practical.

My granddaughter was a little better last night.  Apparently it's like a bad cold.

They had been hesitating about getting the children jabbed (I had kept my mouth shut) but had appointments yesterday.  My grandson went and had his yesterday but both children have already had covid.

maddie malone

My son works at the local hospital he was told if he was in contact with anyone who was positive he could still go to work as he has been double jabbed and had his booster . I thought even tho you had been vaccinated you could still catch it and pass it on 😳

klondike

I think all health workers get regular tests. I also think you are relatively immune a couple of weeks after a booster. The only question is how long for. It seems a jab only lasts about 4 months if that.

Apart from changed practices reducing an already very low beds per capita ratio I read that during this pandemic at any given time 25% of hospital staff were self isolating. Certainly the major source of covid isn't shops, pubs, nightclubs or football it's the hospitals.