Sticky stuff..

Started by Scrumpy, June 08, 2022, 04:54:49 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I had a garden post delivered yesterday.. It is for a project I am doing..
Today I peeled off the wide label that was wrapped around it.. I was left with a thick sticky tar substance.. It is impossible to remove..  Standing in the sun the sticky stuff was bubbling up.. just like tarmac..
I needed to paint the post so stuck some black bin liner plastic over the sticky stuff.. And I painted over it.. 
I know the paint will eventually peel and the plastic bag will rot.. but I had no alternative..
Has anyone else experienced this. ?
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

when you say impossible to remove - what did you try? Many such sticky substances can be removed with acetone, amyl acetate or - perhaps more to hand - nail varnish remover
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Michael . This was like thick tar and it covered a large area..
I tried to scrape it with a knife but is was so sticky and gooey that it ruined the knife .. 
I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this..

Anyway I have painted the post plus the the black plastic that covers the goo.. 

Raven

Bit late now you've painted it but have you googled it? There may be ways of dealing with it easily enough. Failing that, phone the company you got it from and ask them what the heck it is and how to deal with it.

Scrumpy

I would have phoned the company and returned it.. But
I have painted it .. It will be at ground level when driven in..  I will put plants around to cover it..
Horrible stuff.