being prepared

Started by Michael Rolls, October 14, 2022, 09:41:03 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on October 16, 2022, 04:11:36 PMThat sounds amazing, you could qualfy as a 'prepper' :grin: , & Boris is one lucky owl.

Americans are primed on some sharply contrasting values to their British cousins I've generally found. For example they mostly have a firearm as we would favour a screwdriver. They are very into 'security'. My safe room contains two gas masks, an oxygen cylinder, 50 litres of water in plastic bottles and enough solid food for a month. A Glock 17 Automatic pistol with a 33 round magazine that discharges in under 2 seconds together with 20 magazine clips (stunningly expensive as they're almost bespoke items). 6 Stun grenades, 3 smoke bombs pepper sprays, walkie talkies and an armour plated phone line to the police. A mobile phone and two Kevlar bullet proof vests. A military first aid chest and a sort of blast blanket, I suppose in case anyone tried to blow the door open. In a sort of separate offset, theres two bunks, a chemical toilet, wash basin and a 200 gallon water tank, gas cylinder cooker and the smallest generator I've ever seen complete, with a fume consuming filter system.

When I bought the place (a lawyer represented me at the auction by phone link, as I was in the UK at the time) all that was on the inventory was a mention of a 'small storage room'. Indeed apart from opening the door and briefly looking in, I never went near it for many months and then only to store some Jams for Annie. We entered together and were amazed. One complete wall (which opens in entirety with one concealed lever) was floor to ceiling with compartments, all meticulously labelled and dated. Everything is brand new and must be worth $20k in contents alone.

My predecessors total 'Estate' was in excess of $10 million, without the house and its contents. It was disposed of my the IRS and their version of 'The Official Solicitor'.

One strange addendum to this story. In the first draw we opened, which contained the Armoury was a note that read:

"To my successor in Title, I wish you good luck, if ever you need to indent any of these items".

It's always left unlocked with the only keys inside for fast access. Annie made a pair of curtains with a Pelmet to conceal the entrance. All very Doomsdayish and it sent a shiver through both of us.

The previous occupant was a very solitary individual, who was rarely seen. The mailman said he loved his dogs, horses (and Boris). Somewhere in his past he obviously came to respect life and indeed survival.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on October 16, 2022, 01:04:41 PMOf course I'd forgotten about the owl.  You are an old softie Cass, I wish there were more about.

He was here earlier knocking on the window to get let in. When perched atop the side sink's mixer tap, he's most considerate and always turns around with tail feathers over the sink before a discharge! Then shakes his feathers, puffs up and turns round again, with a quick click of the beak!

Tillie got him into this after remonstrating with him for spoiling her polished draining board! He views her most comically, head to one side, with eyes telescoping like kaleidoscopes!

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on October 16, 2022, 06:08:03 PMAmericans are primed on some sharply contrasting values to their British cousins I've generally found. For example they mostly have a firearm as we would favour a screwdriver. They are very into 'security'. My safe room contains two gas masks, an oxygen cylinder, 50 litres of water in plastic bottles and enough solid food for a month. A Glock 17 Automatic pistol with a 33 round magazine that discharges in under 2 seconds together with 20 magazine clips (stunningly expensive as they're almost bespoke items). 6 Stun grenades, 3 smoke bombs pepper sprays, walkie talkies and an armour plated phone line to the police. A mobile phone and two Kevlar bullet proof vests. A military first aid chest and a sort of blast blanket, I suppose in case anyone tried to blow the door open. In a sort of separate offset, theres two bunks, a chemical toilet, wash basin and a 200 gallon water tank, gas cylinder cooker and the smallest generator I've ever seen complete, with a fume consuming filter system.

When I bought the place (a lawyer represented me at the auction by phone link, as I was in the UK at the time) all that was on the inventory was a mention of a 'small storage room'. Indeed apart from opening the door and briefly looking in, I never went near it for many months and then only to store some Jams for Annie. We entered together and were amazed. One complete wall (which opens in entirety with one concealed lever) was floor to ceiling with compartments, all meticulously labelled and dated. Everything is brand new and must be worth $20k in contents alone.

My predecessors total 'Estate' was in excess of $10 million, without the house and its contents. It was disposed of my the IRS and their version of 'The Official Solicitor'.

One strange addendum to this story. In the first draw we opened, which contained the Armoury was a note that read:

"To my successor in Title, I wish you good luck, if ever you need to indent any of these items".

It's always left unlocked with the only keys inside for fast access. Annie made a pair of curtains with a Pelmet to conceal the entrance. All very Doomsdayish and it sent a shiver through both of us.

The previous occupant was a very solitary individual, who was rarely seen. The mailman said he loved his dogs, horses (and Boris). Somewhere in his past he obviously came to respect life and indeed survival.
Lol, you'll be like Robert De Niro's retired CIA operative character in 'Meet the Fockers'.  :upvote: :clap:

P.S. Are you sure he was an architect?  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on October 16, 2022, 08:45:20 PMLol, you'll be like Robert De Niro's retired CIA operative character in 'Meet the Fockers'.  :upvote: :clap:

P.S. Are you sure he was an architect?  :grin:

Not a lot known about him, he was a New Yorker (Queens) moved here from Syracuse and bought the place unbuilt and then modified the plans considerably within the footprint. I thought the 'safe room' a bit over the top, until I was directed by some of the regulars at the local bar to look up a few on 'youtube'. Fortresses and many of course ex military nuclear shelters. Here our man designed a place that myself and Boris are very content with! :smiley:

P.S. Annie calls him 'Paul Kersey' (Charles Bronson) the architect from the 'Death Wish' films!

Michael Rolls

in contradiction of the government minister's statement a few days ago, the head of the National Grid has warned us to expect cuts between 1600 and 1900 if we get 'very cold' days in January and February.
Mike  :boo:  :boo:  :boo:
[email protected]

Raven

Well at least the rubbish six o clock news will be cancelled and by time the news at ten comes on I'll be getting ready for bed. 📰😎

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Raven

Well I can change the main meal time from 6ish to lunch time and have a few rolls made up along with a couple of flasks, one of soup and one of coffee for evening. 👍

Michael Rolls

seems like a plan - I normally have my main meal at lunchtime nowadays - only eat at dinner time if I have guests which is unlikely in the middle of a power cut
Mike
[email protected]