Now listen up

Started by Mark, January 01, 2022, 07:52:52 PM

« previous - next »

Mark

I have amended the T&Cs you all theoretically read when you registered so it's only fair you know.

In the main I have removed the stuff about this site being a backup for PF because it no longer is. You can click the register button if you logout and read the lot or you can trust me and read the frontend bit to the boring standard legalese junk nobody, not even Cass, is likely to bother with. I promise there is nothing in there about me having claim on your first born (or at least I don't think there is - I dropped off after a couple of paras).

Anyhow the new first bit as it now appears...

If you arrived from the Pensioners forum please register using the same userid so we all know who you are.

To be clear - this was never intended to supplant Pensioners Forum. I set it up as a clone because I genuinely believed that Chris had given up on PF and intended to let the site decline into oblivion. This was created and an attempt made to get PF users to at least register so we did not lose touch if PF did finally not return from one of its many outages.

OK but Chis has belatedly got the major outage problem fixed and declared that he has no intention of letting it lapse so why is this site still here?

Good question. Chris IMO overrreacted badly when he discovered this site had been created. There were many attcks on my motives and I and poor Scrumpy who he discovered had tried to get someone to contact her to get them to register here were put on pre-approval posting. In an experiment I found that amounted to a deley of several hours before the post appeared and decide I'd quit instead.

A lot of people who had registered and used this site during PF outages declared they liked it here and wanted to continue posting both here and PF. So the forum remains.

Initially this was just an experiment running on my Raspberry Pi at home. It worked but running a server from home isn't ideal nor is running it under a subdomain of a long dead amateur radio website.

So - this site will be put on commercial hosting which makes it a much more secure prospect and frees my Raspberry Pis up for their original uses. It will also get its own domain following consultation with the regular posters here.

I look on this as a fun challenge. It has been years since I have run my own websites and the first time entirely not for profit. Thank you for forcing this on me Chris albeit unintentionally.

Boring stuff follows... Read it if you must. I haven't.

Mark/klondike