philatelist stamp collecting.

Started by alfred, January 28, 2022, 08:15:11 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Back in he past there was a time when stamp collecting became very popular, hobby. and many people had fantastic albums of stamps collected from all around the world ,

Q; did you ever collect stamps if so have you a story to tell us.

klondike

I think, like most children of my age, I was introduced to stamp collecting with a book, split into countries iirc, lots of gummed "hinges" that you folded and used to stick the stamp into the book and a bag of assorted stamps which for some reasom mostly seemed to carry the word MAGYAR which was Hungary.

It never occurred to me at the time but looking back with cynical eyes I don't think the Hungarians were big letter writers. I think it far more likely that some cunning Hungarian came up with a scheme for selling never-intended-for-use stamps costing near to nothing to produce to the worlds schooboys for slightly more than nothing to buy and so turning a handsome profit.

Oh when did I lose my innocence  :worried:

Michael Rolls

I was given an album, plus a bag of assorted stamps and those little hinges. I would have been about 10 or so and the interest lasted perhaps for a bit under a year.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Me too, I think most kids collected at some time.

crabbyob

i had a nice album and did jobs for money to add to my album.
then i came home from school to find my little brother had used crayon on, if not every stamp then certianly every page, i was devastated, even more so when my mother [who battered me for raising an eyebrow] suggested my brother was only a child... i binned the album...

TREBOR

My interest lasted for about a year then I passed it on to a relative. Do kids still do this? I think they collect other things now - Pokemon cards?