Cash Only

Started by Alex, August 18, 2023, 09:00:54 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on August 19, 2023, 08:06:52 PMIt is very convenient to tap the card on a machine to pay for what I buy or use, but sooner or later something comes along which requires cash.  Our window cleaners, for example.

We pay our window cleaner via bank transfer, as we do for our cat groomer as well.

Apart from the loo that wanted 20p in cash, I can't think of anything else where I need cash & I didn't need it then as I wasn't desperate & could easily wait the 20 minutes till I got home.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

small shops seem to be disproportionately hit by the charges the bank levy on them for card use. Our local newsagent asks folk not to use cards for purchases under £3.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on August 19, 2023, 10:12:04 PMsmall shops seem to be disproportionately hit by the charges the bank levy on them for card use. Our local newsagent asks folk not to use cards for purchases under £3.
I never use small shops either, all our shopping is supermarket or online & very occasionally our local Argos.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

I try to use some small shops, the butcher for instance much better than supermarket meat.

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on August 20, 2023, 09:03:50 AMI try to use some small shops, the butcher for instance much better than supermarket meat.
Lol, something else I never buy, in fact the only meat I eat is in ready meals as I no longer cook any meals from scratch.
[email protected]

klondike

I would criticise you by saying you are killing off the small shops. Except I'm exactly the same.

When I lived in a small village it had one local shop. A local shop so expensive it was cheaper to drive to the nearest supermarket or just wait and get whatever it was in the next weekly shop. Which was what we did. I assume most other people did too as it closed.

I carry a few notes in my wallet which never get used and no change at all. How long before the beggars take card?

That said I did sign the Don't Kill off Cash petition as I recognise that some depend on it.

Scrumpy

Anyway.. shops need cash to pay the scratch card/Lottery winners..
Whether you buy scratch cards/Lottery or not.. there are many who do..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 20, 2023, 09:37:55 AMI would criticise you by saying you are killing off the small shops. Except I'm exactly the same.
I'm killing off most of the high street & many of the shopping mall businesses. 
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I wonder if shopping on line  will kill off Harrods.. Liberty..
 I wonder if they take cash.. !!!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on August 19, 2023, 08:06:52 PMAlthough I agree that the banks should never remove access and use of cash, personally I use my credit card for most things these days.

It is very convenient to tap the card on a machine to pay for what I buy or use, but sooner or later something comes along which requires cash.  Our window cleaners, for example.

Cheques are another option, but having tried to cash a cheque received by Marge, and found the nearest bank we can use (the Post Office does cash some, but not ours) is several miles away, we decided to post the cheque off to them.

I feel exactly the same, only having the use of one hand, I've lost a lot of cash over the years as a result, especially in recent years when I used to fumble at check outs with a purse etc, or worse of all in a bar or pub paying from three rows back. "Connect" was for me the best thing that ever happened. The WEF have stated their intention however to impress the cashless, all joined up society on us by 2030, or actually definitively and more correctly `the DCS' 'Digital Currency System'. Here the State (A worldwide Globalist Govt) directs what your DCS can be spent upon, or more importantly what it can't). So Nat West will be 'whatsaapping' you with say a 20% cash discount for buying Bill Gates 'freshly vaporised Cicadas' this week etc. Or if you used all your electricity up over making a 200 mile return journey to see Granny in your enforced battery car, then a further plug in will be supercharged to 150% of 'plug in points' dial price. Just imagine living in say Citizen Khan's greater London & Home Counties region. Ulez and Starmer Chameleon's bloodsuckers digitally forcing you to giving up travel!

Cash is unimportant the DCS is already here and cleared for take off!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Not up here but down in Perth there are card payment only places, I came across one in the Mall.
Up in Crieff we used to go to a lovely cafe at the Stuart Crystal place and it was cash only.