Ukraine.

Started by Scrumpy, February 14, 2022, 10:41:07 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

You're a long time dead....

crabbyob

the good news is that Covid dont seem to be as important as it was, nor is politics it seems, 27% turn out in Erdington

Alex

Why would Russian forces attack a nuclear power station  ? ok it was only the Admin buildings affected, but it does seem a risk and surely Putin knows this act would only draw further NATO support for Ukraine. 

klondike

Shutting off the power to an area would shut down mobile phone networks and probably stop the water too. Making things a whole lot more difficult for any defenders would certainly be a war aim.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Alex on March 04, 2022, 03:31:46 PM
Why would Russian forces attack a nuclear power station  ? ok it was only the Admin buildings affected, but it does seem a risk and surely Putin knows this act would only draw further NATO support for Ukraine.
Why wouldn't they? Denying defenders power is a sensible aggressor's objective. Of course, the risk of nuclear contamination doesn't seem to bother Putin
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 04, 2022, 04:22:29 PM
Why wouldn't they? Denying defenders power is a sensible aggressor's objective. Of course, the risk of nuclear contamination doesn't seem to bother Putin
Mike

If the actual reactors were hit, surely any fallout would cover Russia too  ?

Michael Rolls

I would have thought depending on just how mad is the man  - that omelette and eggs come to mind
Mike
[email protected]

Flying Bomb

Ukraine asking for no fly zone is asking for WW3.

Michael Rolls

As I understand it - unless things have changed in the last 2 days - it has been rejected by NATO. To enforce it would mean NATO a/c shooting down Russian a/c - recipe for escalation
Mike
[email protected]

Alex

Does Ukraine have its own air force to intercept any Russian jets ?

Michael Rolls

It has some 225 a/c, currently the 7th largest in Europe (Wiki). Many, however, are relics from the days of the USSR and are inoperable. According to that article only 115 are combat a/c and as they are all Soviet types presumably the 'inoperable' tag applies to some, although the article doesn't specify. Even if all 115 are in tip-top condition they are vastly outnumbered
Mike
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 05, 2022, 09:41:36 AM
It has some 225 a/c, currently the 7th largest in Europe (Wiki). Many, however, are relics from the days of the USSR and are inoperable. According to that article only 115 are combat a/c and as they are all Soviet types presumably the 'inoperable' tag applies to some, although the article doesn't specify. Even if all 115 are in tip-top condition they are vastly outnumbered
Mike

But they must have enough to inflict some serious damage on the halted 40 mile Russian tank convoy.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Standard practice for a potential soft target is air cover. I doubt that has escaped Russian thinking
Mike
[email protected]

crabbyob

looking at the 40 mile long convoy and considering the damage the 'Stukkas' did in the retreat to Dunkirk, one wonder if they have any palanes at all..
of course its easy directing fire from Doncaster

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 05, 2022, 11:57:39 AM
Standard practice for a potential soft target is air cover. I doubt that has escaped Russian thinking
Mike

Well they were accomodating enough to allow aerial photos to be taken.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]