Ukraine.

Started by Scrumpy, February 14, 2022, 10:41:07 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

this was the vigil in memory of Sarah Everard, murdered by a police officer (not in the course of his duties) held on Clapham Common March last year. There was a lot of unhappiness at the high-handed police action with the police excuse that the numbers gathering were a risk to public health and a judge refusing to rule in advance of the event as to whether or not it would contravene Covid regulations. Not for the first time, there were calls for the resignation of Cressida Dick.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

0h, and to my mind this vigil was a very long way removed from the pointless vigil about the Ukraine situation.
Mike
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I don't get all these 'lighting candles' where the Ukraine is concerned..Other than making the 'waver' feel better.. Mass protesting in areas where the world sees what you are doing is more effective ..
Boris has certainly had his work cut out for him.. BREXIT... COVID... RUSSIA...
He is doing ok as far as I'm concerned..
The man has earned his glass of wine..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Flying Bomb

GLOBAL WARMING on his plate too
And bringing up a new baby.

Alex

I'm sitting here wondering why the Iron Dome, which successfully knocks out thousands of Palestinian rockets headed for Israel, couldn't be used in Ukraine.
Is it equipment that could be airlifted into Kiev, where I believe the TV tower has recently been attacked.  ? 

GrannyMac

Lots of collections going on to help the Ukrainian people.  Our local (and other) Dunelm Store is acting as a hub.  I'm going to get a few of the small items on the list. Won't cost much, but better than lighting a candle IMO.  These people don't deserve what is happening to them.

[automatically pruned due to age]
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

We have a collection point near here.. My daughter and her friends are picking up donations to take there.. People have been very generous..
No candles or vigils here.. Candles burn out in time.. and lighting them does not get the baby fed..

GrannyMac

That's great Scrumpy, well done your daughter.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I agree with what Boris is saying.. We can not get involved with any fighting by putting our men out there.. We are too close for comfort..
At this present time I would prefer to be living in Australia or America..
Also I heard on the news that China is not too pleased with Russia for it's actions..
Putin's hole is getting deeper and deeper.
Which is scary...

Scrumpy

Very sad to read about Cargo200  (Diasi mentioned it).. Identifier for transporting bodies from battlefield .. Cargo200 ignites terror among the Mothers of Russian soldiers..
Many of the young Russians thought they were going on manoeuvres .. and are damaging their own vehicles ...

Alex

Quote from: Alex on March 01, 2022, 08:54:38 PM
I'm sitting here wondering why the Iron Dome, which successfully knocks out thousands of Palestinian rockets headed for Israel, couldn't be used in Ukraine.
Is it equipment that could be airlifted into Kiev, where I believe the TV tower has recently been attacked.  ?

Google is wonderful and I found this today, unbelievable though it is.

"Israel halted an attempt by the US to transfer several batteries of the Iron Dome defense system to Ukraine over worries it would damage its relations with Russia.   The Ukrainian government officially asked the Biden administration to transfer Patriot and Iron Dome missiles to Ukraine last spring.

At the time, when then there were no worries of a possible Russian invasion, both Democratic and Republican lawmakers supported the transfer.
However, due to Iron Dome being a joint Israeli-American project, a sale to a third party cannot take place without the approval of both developer countries."
Source Times of Israel.

Reasons in part were due to the Israel's complicated relationship with Moscow, and Russia"s position in Syria.
I'm shocked.  Israel of all countries knows what it's like to be under constant attack,

crabbyob

India is also body swerving anything to do with Russia
the Russians were very generous to India with Covid Vacs....

Scrumpy

They are calling it Putin's War..

klondike

Pity he isn't engaging personally then...