Ukraine.

Started by Scrumpy, February 14, 2022, 10:41:07 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Ukrainians and Russians will pay in blood but we'll pay too via the inevitable economic impact.

crabbyob

i agree Scrumps, i dont think the UK went to war with Korea, our lads were fighting under the UN banner, but it didnt stop them getting killed... we pay a lot of cash to the UN...[or is membership free :?: ] If Boris allows us to be drawn into this I will propose a vote of no confidence, and neither should the Yanks be allowed to fly 'missions' from our country, they refused to allow us to refuel in their country when we were heading into the Southern Atlantic Conflict, they said it might upset their neighbours if they did.... well it would upset me if we allow them to fly from any bases here to Bomb the Russians [because they wont be sending in any foot soldiers]

Alex

I didn't know the US wouldn't allow refuelling on their territory crabbyob, see you learn summat every day on here.  Mind I wasn't living in UK when Falklands was kicking off.  They did supply us with weapons though didn't they ? we're probably still paying for them  :smiley:

crabbyob

i think the best known weapon from that conflict was supplied by the French, to the Argies
the Extocette ?

Raven

We now have charities wanting the UK to take people from the Ukraine. Where are we suppose to put them, in an already over full wee island.  :hmm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60518801

Michael Rolls

yes the Exocet anti-ship missile. HMS Sheffield - Type 42 destroyer was struck by one and so badly damaged that she subsequently sank in heavy seas
I had forgotten the disgraceful performance of the BBC - a number of our ships had been struck by bombs which had failed to explode, apparently because they had been released from too low an altitude. The BBC reported the failure of the bombs- the Argentine air force, advised of the problem, rectified it - thereafter the bombs did not fail. Col H Jones, the CO of 2 Para, accused the BBC of broadcasting the imminent attack on Goose Green by his battalion (Jones was killed in the attack and was awarded the VC, sadly posthumously)
The seems to be no doubt that those BBC broadcasts cost the lives of British servicemen, though I have no idea how many. In the words of Admiral Woodward, the task force commander, >>>the BBC is being more concerned with being "fearless seekers after truth" than with the lives of British servicemen.[<<<
I had, as I said, forgotten that - but when you look at the BBC's general attitude, I suppose it is hardly surprising
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

Quote from: Raven on February 25, 2022, 12:48:42 PM
We now have charities wanting the UK to take people from the Ukraine. Where are we suppose to put them, in an already over full wee island.  :hmm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60518801

Easy, chuck the dinghy boys out and let the Ukrainians in, no problem.

crabbyob

the world Heavyweight champion has returned to his country to defend his homeland...
i have always liked the guy but he has grown into a giant for me

AlEXANDER USYK our hero

zoony

I was listening to him on the wireless this morning crabbyob.. Always liked both him and his brother. Mum did a great job with 'em.

Flying Bomb

I hear that Russia is to be banned from the Euro song contest.
Why not ban all countries and then we can have a bit of peace and quiet.  :grin:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Alex

The Champions League Final has been moved to Paris in May, I'll enjoy that trip more than a trip to Russia  :grin:

klondike

Quote from: Flying Bomb on February 25, 2022, 05:01:22 PM
Probably one of the tougher sanctions...

Michael Rolls

Why should the UK be expected to 'lead the way' in housing refugees from the Ukraine? A number of countries nearer to that unhappy county are all less crowded than the UK. Comparative population densities, expressed in persons per square mile are
UK 701.1
Germany 600.9
France 300.4
Hungary 271.9
Czech Republic 352.2
Austria  274.5
Italy  521.4
Spain  243.5
To be fair, Belgium and the Netherlands, at 973.8 and 1095.8, are even more crowded than the UK – but given those other numbers, why should we be expected to 'lead the way'
Mike
[email protected]

crabbyob

Quote from: Flying Bomb on February 25, 2022, 05:01:22 PM
Why not ban all countries and then we can have a bit of peace and quiet.  :grin:

they will still get more points than us
did they ever find Englebert or did he return to his hometown....Chennai..