Aurora Tonight.

Started by Raven, Today at 06:45:50 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

If your up through the night have a look out of your window, you could be in for quite a show. I know I often see the lights and a lot of you don't so don't miss out tonight, they are well worth watching.

For the first time since January 2005, the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center in America has issued a Severe Geomagnetic Storm Watch.

It means it could provide one of the best viewing opportunities to see the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) for the whole of the UK.

A sunspot, an area of high solar activity, 16 times wider than Earth, has a number of solar flares and complex Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) which are currently hurtling towards planet Earth. It's due to arrive Friday night but may continue to be seen Saturday night too.

klondike

Chris Page - Weatherman
@ChrisPage90
Although it won't be confirmed until after the event has reached Earth, there are signs tonight's Severe Geomagnetic Storm will be the strongest since 2005.

This will mean it's likely all of the UK (cloud permitting) should be able to see the the Aurora tonight if you look north

https://twitter.com/ChrisPage90/status/1788879325091057886

Of course if it turns out like every other astronomical bonanza I've been promised I'll see nowt.