the bye-elections

Started by Michael Rolls, June 24, 2022, 06:56:49 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

So the Tories lost both seats with swinging turnarounds in support. What now, I wonder?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

hugh

With bye elections Mike it was pretty much to be expected. One seat was a Labour party strong hold only lent to get Brexit done. Oliver Dowden resigning, he was expected to be removed soon. Now its a matter of wait and see but Boris has done a good job so far. Remainers really are trying to remove Boris.
Happy Golfer

Michael Rolls

I expected to lose both, but not by so much
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: hugh on June 24, 2022, 08:17:39 AMWith bye elections Mike it was pretty much to be expected. One seat was a Labour party strong hold only lent to get Brexit done. Oliver Dowden resigning, he was expected to be removed soon. Now its a matter of wait and see but Boris has done a good job so far. Remainers really are trying to remove Boris.

I'm a life-long Tory voter with the two exceptions of voting for the National Front in the 1970's & for UKIP in 2014.

I'm also a party member & on the local executive committee.

What people need to realise is that this situation goes back to the 24th June 2016 when Cameron resigned & the Tories had to elect a new leader.

The vast majority of grassroot members wanted Andrea Leadsom, a committed Brexiteer, who would have been our new PM & we'd have been out of the EU by 2018.

However, the Tory remainer MPs rigged it so that the members didn't get a vote & they shoe-horned their remainer candidate, Theresa May, who was put into the job of PM to keep the UK in the EU at any cost. It wasn't until these remainer Tory MPs realised that they were on the dole come the next GE that self-interest took precedence over their efforts to keep the UK in the EU.

If Andrea Leadsom had become our PM & taken us out of the EU she'd have faced the exact same problems that Boris Johnson is facing. If not Partygate, some scenario would have been rigged to cause her downfall.

Of course, there'll always be no shortage of voters who are too stupid to realise that the current cost-of-living crisis is beyond the control of any Government.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: hugh on June 24, 2022, 08:17:39 AMWith bye elections Mike it was pretty much to be expected.
I don't recall many by elections where a 24,000 majority was overturned sufficient to give the new MP a 6,000 majority.

Regardless of reason or fault this isn't something that any party can simply ignore. They need to get on with delivering what they were elected to do. It is often said that oppositions don't win elections governments lose them. The current government seems to be in the process of showing us how.

hugh

Boris must now get on with the job, and start leveling up the country which they promised. With all the strikes going on at the moment not going to help. No matter what Boris should not get involved in these strikes. A lot of the money made on the railways as gone to EU share holders so I heard on GBnews. 
Happy Golfer

Cassandra

Boris is driven principally by his zealot Green zero ideology and his Londoncentric thinking. His contrite statements this morning about "listening to voters" is ignored these days for the unsafe sophistry that it is.

The longer he stays the better it is for the opposition from both sides.

For one moment can you ever believe he would;

1) Pull the UK of the ECHR, so the UK controls it's own borders?

2) Issue notice to the EU under article 16 of the Treaty to rid us of the Northern Ireland restraints?

3) Scrap the 25% green taxes and VAT on Electricity and Gas?

4) Give Sturgeon the referendum and call her bluff once and for all?

The answers are No, No, No and No and thats why he will lose the Tories the next General Election ...

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

We (Tories) seem to be on a slippery slope..
Boris doesn't seem to realise/admit that something is wrong ..  He is either thick skinned or truly believes that all is well..  
He certainly is arrogant...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on June 24, 2022, 01:42:08 PMBoris is driven principally by his zealot Green zero ideology and his Londoncentric thinking. His contrite statements this morning about "listening to voters" is ignored these days for the unsafe sophistry that it is.

The longer he stays the better it is for the opposition from both sides.

For one moment can you ever believe he would;

1) Pull the UK of the ECHR, so the UK controls it's own borders?

2) Issue notice to the EU under article 16 of the Treaty to rid us of the Northern Ireland restraints?

3) Scrap the 25% green taxes and VAT on Electricity and Gas?

4) Give Sturgeon the referendum and call her bluff once and for all?

The answers are No, No, No and No and thats why he will lose the Tories the next General Election ...

You may well be right & the really bad news is that the idiots who vote in a Labour Government will get a government that also won't to any of those things but it will tie us much closer to the EU or even rejoin us to the EU.

They might give Scotland it's independence without a referendum.

It will as Scrumpy has said, flood us with 'welcome one & all' immigrants.

The real losers will be, once again, those of us who are self-sufficient financially.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

Lot of plotting going on.  :hmm:  :rolleyes:  :lipsrsealed:

Untitled.jpg

hugh

My view is he should stay put, he his far better leader than Sharmer and no one stands out to replace Boris. Still a lot of remainers on the back benches who would like to see the back of him. A lot of the red wall seats will ended up back with Labour which is to be expected. 

Boris so far done a very good job as PM so the only reason party gate gone on so long they have nothing else to get their teeth into.
Happy Golfer

Cassandra

Quote from: hugh on June 25, 2022, 01:47:43 PMMy view is he should stay put, he his far better leader than Sharmer and no one stands out to replace Boris. Still a lot of remainers on the back benches who would like to see the back of him. A lot of the red wall seats will ended up back with Labour which is to be expected.

Boris so far done a very good job as PM so the only reason party gate gone on so long they have nothing else to get their teeth into.

As you know I disagree Hugh. Johnson has all the structures of a criminal mind. As a lifelong Tory, he must go immediately to save the Party. With a two year lead in, David Frost a man of integrity and gravitas, should replace him and be given the time to re-establish true Conservative values. Not the wish-wash of Remainer driven, neo-liberal edicts this shameful weak willed man has touted.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

We could end up with Jeremy Hunt because we don't get to choose.  No doubt it will be a remainer who replaces Boris..

klondike

Quote from: Alex on June 25, 2022, 05:23:35 PMNo doubt it will be a remainer who replaces Boris..
Not necessarily. Surely not all Tory MPs are that daft,

Diasi

At the end of that day it matters not who replaces him as the lefty mob & media will trawl through university records to find out what the new Tory PM said 30 years ago & start a hate camapaign to get him / her outed, ably assisted by the the lefty unions.
[email protected]