Defecting Tory MPs

Started by Alex, June 26, 2022, 03:45:19 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

In the news today that 6 tory MPs might defect to the Labour Party. So if they do defect to Labour, will there be a local election as rumour has it those MPs only have a small majority.  OR are they allowed to carry on in their constituencies only as Labour MPs  ?

Scrumpy

MIGHT.!!!.  They are probably sitting on the fence .. waiting.. watching..
I bet they don't care who they support.. they just want the perks of an MP..
If they defect to the left then they should not be representing Conservative ..in areas where Tories have the lead, no matter how small.. 
and .. They should not represent Labour unless they win a public election....
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

I think that it is disgraceful that an MP can switch allegiance thereby effectively disenfranchising those who voted him in
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on June 26, 2022, 05:03:03 PMI think that it is disgraceful that an MP can switch allegiance thereby effectively disenfranchising those who voted him in
Mike

It is a disgrace & it needs to be abolished, in theory there's nothing to stop the entire HoC switching sides tomorrow & we end up with a majority Labour Party that wasn't elected.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

True but we ended up with a Conservative government pursuing a Green/Lib Dem agenda anyway so what does it matter what they call themselves.

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on June 26, 2022, 03:45:19 PMIn the news today that 6 tory MPs might defect to the Labour Party. So if they do defect to Labour, will there be a local election as rumour has it those MPs only have a small majority.  OR are they allowed to carry on in their constituencies only as Labour MPs  ?

They can stay in seat, as its the individual, not the party thats elected. Something that needs changing in my opinion. The 'transformers' as talked of will never materialise into reality. Today no-one of their age groups possesses the guts, or dedication to stand up for anything if it can't be banked or spent.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

That's interesting Cassandra..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Thanks Cass, as you say something needs changing - quick

Michael Rolls

it's always been the way - and in my opinion always wrong. Winston Churchill crossed the flour (IIRC) about 1910?
[email protected]

klondike

It's wrong and although the side they go to will cheer them I suspect they end up hated by both sides. Unless there is a minority government I suspect it makes little real difference.

Cassandra

Its often forgotten that Winston changed sides twice. In 1903 he quit the Tories to join Lloyd George's Liberals, rising to the posts of Home Secretary and later First Lord of the Admiralty in WW1. Then in 1924 he returned to the Conservatives. From 1929-1939 he was out of favour in cabinet election thanks to Stanley Baldwin, who was very nervous about his return. The great man referred to this shameful waste of his abilities as "My Wilderness Years". 

"Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain ingenuity to re-rat", he announced when he crossed the floor back to the Conservative benches!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

I'd forgotten that he did it twice - thanks for the reminder
Mike
[email protected]

hugh

Crossing the floor just what good would it do? just less votes to remove Boris. :grin: :grin:
Happy Golfer

Jacqueline

Never trust a turncoat. What would a true Conservative have in common with the Labour party? If they go down this road they have cheated their voters should be thrown out and a by-election called.

Michael Rolls

absolutely agree. Cassandra - who agrees with our view - did make the point that at a GE you vote for J. Bloggs, not a party per se, but to my mind in the vast majority of cases, folk voted for J. Bloggs because he belongs to Party X, not because of how fine a person J. Bloggs is. If J. Bloggs crosses the floor, they are no longer the J. Bloggs for whom the electorate voted. Politically, that person no longer exists.
Mike
[email protected]