News from the Government

Started by Alex, March 20, 2022, 03:29:25 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 22, 2022, 08:10:20 AM
But, hang on a minute.. When we offer to help the Ukrainians why then should the Afghan Muslim get in on the act.. !!!
Illegal refugees hit our shores .. get picked up.. housed .. etc; etc; at a cost to the taxpayer.. This has got to stop.. It is getting out of control.. and will get worse with the better weather ....
Many here are finding it a struggle to heat.. eat.. travel..
This country should look to the people already living here not those who invade our shores..

I totally agree, and rightly or wrongly I would never trust one in my home. :angry: I think the Government have a real cheek even thinking about asking that. They should all be on the first boat/plane out of here.  :waiting:

crabbyob

i think most of us concur with that Raven

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: GrannyMac on March 22, 2022, 05:47:49 AM
Serving personnel and vets are entitled to priority status for housing. Perhaps they need to be directed to the CAB?  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/housing-options-for-people-leaving-the-armed-forces-veterans-and-their-families/

Many places also have local organisations like this https://www.whitechapelcentre.co.uk/

There are reasons why we see some 'born and bred' on the streets.  The term 'revolving door' could sometimes be used regarding regular street homeless applicants.  Our LA spent a fortune on support workers, we had available flats, with help to settle in, get benefits sorted etc.  It worked for some, but even after months of help, tenancies regularly broke down.  There are all sorts of complex reasons why someone might be on the street. Plus not all those we see begging or selling the Big Issue are actually homeless.

Local authorities use B&Bs and hostels.  But often there are rules about drugs and alcohol, which don't always suit.

Just in case anyone who wants to help vets didn't see the info previously.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Yes, there are organisations like Whitechapel centre, run by donations, SSAFA is also run by volunteers and donations, my point is there is immediate Government help for dinghy people, no hesitation, buses waiting at Dover to transport them to nice warm hotels etc etc....it seems unfair that our ex servicemen and other homeless people should have to rely on charity.   In Birkenhead and Chester, homeless people took over empty council office buildings, just to stay warm.  You obviously have more knowledge about this subject than I do, I'm just saying what I see and of course every case is different.

GrannyMac

I agree, we haven't got the asylum system under control, or the removal of illegal immigrants. Its a shambles.

I just wanted to point out that even without the charities, who do a great job, local authorities do have some statutory duties towards ex servicemen. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖