No Smoking..

Started by Scrumpy, April 17, 2024, 08:36:17 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

No smoking 15 and under..

If this comes into force what I would like to know is 
Who , in their right mind, would be brave enough to tell a child of 15 and under to  'Put that fag out' ?
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

I want to know how anyone, let alone a youngster, can afford to smoke nowadays🤷🏻�♂️

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I used to smoke Benson & Hedges, the gold pack.   I remember they were about £2.50 for twenty when I stopped in 1984.   Today they are £17.06, how on earth do people afford to smoke ?

klondike

People with an addiction find a way to feed the need. Most who are a bit boracic probably go for roll ups. As you are mostly smoking paper and matches that works out cheaper.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on April 17, 2024, 03:26:02 PMI used to smoke Benson & Hedges, the gold pack.  I remember they were about £2.50 for twenty when I stopped in 1984.  Today they are £17.06, how on earth do people afford to smoke ?
I smoked B&H too, stopped 10 years after you.  We both did.  If we still smoked, we'd be boracic! Sorry k, I couldn't have gone onto rollups.   Thank goodness my kids don't, my nurse daughter loathes smoking.  She's seen what it can do to the unlucky ones. 

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on April 17, 2024, 11:39:21 AMBenefits?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13315727/sicknote-Briton-refusing-job-shocking-insight-lives-economically-inactive.html
When I retired in 1993 there were already families where no one had worked for three generations & it's almost certain that those families are now entering into the fifth generation of being workless. 
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Diasi on April 17, 2024, 05:02:04 PMWhen I retired in 1993 there were already families where no one had worked for three generations & it's almost certain that those families are now entering into the fifth generation of being workless.
Absolutely.  Mental health has replaced the bad back.  

muddy

I am for it .
If they never start they won't get addicted to nicotine .

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on April 17, 2024, 11:39:21 AMBenefits?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13315727/sicknote-Briton-refusing-job-shocking-insight-lives-economically-inactive.html
Slightly off-topic, and I apologise, but this is a serious matter now and does nothing more than encourage laziness.
It also encourages foolishness, because the money will run out one day and such lazy buggers will immediately come down to earth with a bump.  No problem.  They'll just turn to crime, because crime pays in broken Britain.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on April 17, 2024, 06:57:57 PMSlightly off-topic, and I apologise, but this is a serious matter now and does nothing more than encourage laziness.
It also encourages foolishness, because the money will run out one day and such lazy buggers will immediately come down to earth with a bump.  No problem.  They'll just turn to crime, because crime pays in broken Britain.
Give the unemployed free bromine and contraceptives.

Raven

Didn't it used to be 3 refusals of jobs and your money stopped? Why/When did that change?

dextrous63

Didn't know that existed.  Even if it did and still does, it'll be easy enough to make sure that nobody will want to employ you.  

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on April 17, 2024, 08:21:02 PMGive the unemployed free bromine and contraceptives.
Bromine, yes.  Contraceptives, yes, that would stop them breeding, but could we trust them to use them?

April 17, 2024, 09:54:44 PM
Quote from: dextrous63 on April 17, 2024, 09:15:51 PMDidn't know that existed.  Even if it did and still does, it'll be easy enough to make sure that nobody will want to employ you. 
I'm not sure, but I think it might well have done.
Even if not, when the money runs out it doesn't matter.  

In the early 20th century, when there was much unemployment and financial hand-outs were unheard of, working men would do anything to get a job, as the alternative would be to starve.

The restoration of such a situation would certainly change minds!
The lazy buggers of today would be there, cleaning out sewers or any other crap jobs which nobody in their right minds today would do.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

Back in the day an employer could tell you to collect your cards should you not be suitable for a job..
Today they are very wary for fear of employees playing the 'discrimination' card..
It can be costly.. 
People on long term benefits must hate this.. They  are terrified that they will be safe in work.. So they make up all these' Incurable' illnesses that prohibits them for work.. eg; Bad back.. leg.. neck.. ankle.. Dizziness...Mental problems..
They know how to work the system..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..