Knock knock, who's there?

Started by Weapons Grade, September 07, 2023, 04:11:34 PM

« previous - next »

Weapons Grade

Quote from: Diasi on September 08, 2023, 07:55:25 AMThanks for your explanation of your circumstances which I find quite depressing & annoying in equal measure.

When your operation is done & dusted, can you go to Thailand for 30 days on any number of occasions so long as you come back to the UK for a few weeks?

Sorry if I keep asking personal questions but I'm interested in how other countries operate their schemes.

If the UK implemented the Thai rules no buggers in a dinghy would get in.
I'm not sure how many times a year you can go, but I think you have to spend half the year resident in Britain itself, don't quote me on that though.

This mass immigration doesn't exist outside the west. You can't just turn up somewhere and demand to stay and be clothed, fed and housed by the state. You'll be locked up in some mangy deportation center for a few months and deported. Let's be honest, if we didn't have a welfare state who would bother coming here? The vast majority coming into the UK now are not political asylum seekers, they're economic migrants.

Which reminds me of a funny story.

We expats had a gathering every week and among our members was an older pensioner we called ''old Buffalo.'' Buffalo had vastly overspent and run out of money to the extent he lived on the beach and couldn't afford his visa fees and his visa had run out. It was a matter of time before the immigration police caught him, but he didn't want to return to the UK.

We devised a plan. We'd take him up to North Thailand and build him a small raft, which he'd use to cross the Mekong which is only a few hundred yards wide in places and enter communist Laos. He'd then claim political asylum. It's a nice little place and all that, but who on earth claims political asylum in Laos? The idea was that the Laos authorities would be so surprised they'd use him as propaganda about an old man fleeing the nasty capitalists and take him in and issue him with a displaced person ID. Problem solved. 

It never came off, I think he was frightened of what might happen and in the end he was caught and deported. Sadly the last I heard he died back in Britain whilst I was in China.

Mark

I had a suggestion that this was wavering well off a hello into politics which is true enough and not to everybodies tastes. I've split it off at a convenient point into two and moved the second half to Politics.

klondike

A newcomer happened on this place
Posted a joke Mike thought a disgrace
Others agreed and said so too
Next came attempts to stir the poo
Maybe he'll vanished without a trace

Alex

klondike

The idea came from Mac's suggestion to Scrumpy about sticking to limericks.

All three of us plus others have been honing our skills here

https://letschat.club/index.php?topic=3049.0

Alex

I had ganes on block for a break, then forgot about them  :grin:  :grin: