Outrageous SUVs

Started by JBR, April 10, 2024, 11:40:00 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

It appears that Oxford council are planning to increase charges (parking charges for one) on owners of SUVs, presumably because their heavier weight is damaging surfaces.

They will probably include EVs into the 'bargain' as well, as they too are very much heavier than most ICEs.  I think that, if that bright idea expands into other local authorities, the recent loss of interest in EVs may well escalate.  Almost certainly it will when the government decides to include 'road tax' charges on their owners as well.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Good for Oxford council  :upvote:

Ashy

In Oxford's case it's probably another round in their ongoing war on motoring. More likely to be idealistic than anything practical like road surface wear.

klondike

I seriously doubt that they would penalise EVs. That would be off message.

muddy

I have an SUV but it's nothing like the monsters around now .
They are too big and wide .
Parking spaces are too small .
These huge Mercedes and Porsche Cayennes  are rediculous .
Even small cars are getting too wide.
A mini is no longer a mini.

Michael Rolls

my Mondeo is longer than many of the parking spaces around here and if I park in the middle of a space and someone does the same in the adjoining space I can't fully open my door, and squeezing out of a half open door is bad for my back. A hybrid, it is also 4 cwts heavier than its petrol predecessor.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Parking space design was set way back when cars were smaller. If you'd picked a classic Ford Anglia you'd have no problems parking. I avoid shops with difficult parking. All the new build Lidl stores I've used have had sensible space sizes and safe layouts that don't encourage speeding in the access roads.

Michael Rolls

there was a classic car rally - probably at Glamis- last year and I saw several pre-war cars on the road. How on earth did two full size adults fit into the front seats of an Austin 7?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Full sized adults weren't the same size as they are now. Have you ever looked at old military uniforms in museums? They really are small. You'd be forgiven for initially thinking they must be a drummer boys. There was still food rationing in the fifties and I suspect poor nourishment for quite a while longer.

None of this then...

muddy

In short we are a nation of fat barswards .

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on April 10, 2024, 11:40:00 AMIt appears that Oxford council are planning to increase charges (parking charges for one) on owners of SUVs, presumably because their heavier weight is damaging surfaces.

They will probably include EVs into the 'bargain' as well, as they too are very much heavier than most ICEs.  I think that, if that bright idea expands into other local authorities, the recent loss of interest in EVs may well escalate.  Almost certainly it will when the government decides to include 'road tax' charges on their owners as well.

Oxford - Lib/Dem (and those posing as) nutter HQ. All these 'schemes' are growing towards their eventual aim of everyone using rollers-skates and bikes with your registration number worn on a tabard. Land yachts, tacking up the M6, replace trucks, until their all dug up and converted to canals with sail boats. Home heating c/o Peat suppliers who also sell synthetic candles. The army of 1,000 are armed with Bows & Arrows. Planes and cars etc are only used by the 'Council Commissariat'.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

I think our area (Cheadle and Gatley) may also become Limp Dem at the next election.
Tories are now personae non grata, and people here never vote for Labour.

Alex

JBR

Quote from: Alex on April 13, 2024, 08:14:18 PMHow very posh JBR  :smiley:
It's a decent enough area, but I wouldn't call it 'posh'.

Bramhall, up the road, is posh!

Alex

Not as posh as Alderley Edge of course but I thought Gatley was posh.  Cheadle is nice, some decent charity shops there  :smiley: