Old men..

Started by Scrumpy, September 23, 2022, 05:37:07 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Today I watched Robert Redford in The Old Man and the Gun..
The colour was dark which made it hard to see what was happening.. Redford walked as an older person would.. His face is weathered with age..
But his hands are as I remember them .. as are his arms.. 
 He pecked his co star just once.. 
He stood at her front door and after removing his hat he gave her a smile... It was then that I remembered the Redford from. The Way We Were.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 25, 2022, 08:58:18 AM92 !!!   and he is still upright.. !!        Hi Martin. x

September 25, 2022, 08:59:01 AM:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Evening Scrumps, Redford was my late wife's big heart- throb and 'The Way we were' her favourite film. Personally I preferred him in 'All the Presidents Men', with Dustin Hoffman and that wonderful supporting actor Jason Robards.

Sadly he's never won an 'Oscar' as an actor.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

Dustin Hoffman never puts a step wrong.. nor Al Pacino..
  Michael Douglas can still put in a good performance.. and the wonderful Ray Liotta.. sadly gone..

We will get around to the women at some point...eh !!

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 26, 2022, 11:41:09 AMDustin Hoffman never puts a step wrong.. nor Al Pacino..
  Michael Douglas can still put in a good performance.. and the wonderful Ray Liotta.. sadly gone..

We will get around to the women at some point...eh !!

Completely agree all of them and Liotta such a sad loss and deprivation, as he'd really matured to perfection.

Actresses, oh Goodness, so many:

Marylyn Monroe, 'River of no Return', (fell in love with her aged 10). Jean Simmons,'The Big Country', Katherine Hepburn 'Guess who's coming to Dinner', 'The African Queen'. Audrey Hepburn 'Charade' (and every thing she did), Deborah Kerr 'The King and I', Joyce Grenfell 'Stage Fright and so much more and finally to my favourite.

Margaret Rutherford, who could have played my mother from the character of Miss Marple with hardly any adjustment necessary!

Alex

Doris Day was my favourite, I loved her films with Rock Hudson in particular.  Calamity Jane was the best for me though. :grin:

Scrumpy

Bette Davies.. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
 Vivienne Leigh.. Gone With the Wind
Maggie Smith...
 I too loved Margaret Rutherford.. 
She had a son that was also in the movies  (tippy tongue).

Monroe was so beautiful and always looked so innocent..

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 26, 2022, 05:00:50 PMMonroe was so beautiful and always looked so innocent..

I think she was naive and needed a good loyal man to accompany her supportively in life. It was the sheer vulnerability she somehow reflected that made her so wonderful. Joe Dimaggio seemingly cared too much for her and that free, but troubled spirit felt cloistered...

Another beauty was Brigitte Bardot, she always had me shivering, so many, Loren, Diana Dors the list is fortunately endless.

Scrumpy

And the delightful Audrey Hepburn..

klondike

Now she was a class act and clever too.

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 27, 2022, 06:19:55 PMAnd the delightful Audrey Hepburn..

Absolutely, "with a face like a piece of Dresden China", as my mother used to say. Also she was a great dog lover too. Here's a pic with Mr Famous who tragically died on Wilshere Boulevard whilst she was filming 'The Children's Hour'. Heartbroken her great friend Mel Ferrer bought her another of these fabulous little dogs 'Assam Assam'.

1955vintage

The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Scrumpy

Cassandra.. The pic of Audrey Hepburn is lovely..
Reminds me of my (thinner) days..

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Cassandra on September 27, 2022, 08:01:34 PMAbsolutely, "with a face like a piece of Dresden China", as my mother used to say. Also she was a great dog lover too. Here's a pic with Mr Famous who tragically died on Wilshere Boulevard whilst she was filming 'The Children's Hour'. Heartbroken her great friend Mel Ferrer bought her another of these fabulous little dogs 'Assam Assam'.
What a gorgeous picture!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Leslie Caron was another beauty from those days.   And in my innocent youth, I liked Montgomery Clift after I watched From Here to Eternity.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on September 29, 2022, 06:28:18 AMLeslie Caron was another beauty from those days.   And in my innocent youth, I liked Montgomery Clift after I watched From Here to Eternity.

Yes she was beautiful, lissom - 'Gigi', 'The Man who understood Women'.

What about another English beauty 'Shirley Anne Field'. I had cause to meet her once and was surprised how small she was. But those eyes Wow and such a lovely smile.

Both gorgeous ladies are still with us too ...