Linux

Started by Ashy, December 12, 2023, 08:18:44 AM

« previous - next »

Ashy

I had a computer failure, it was running windows 10 and a high spec machine. It failed to boot up and wouldn't recover. Not having the installation discs for Windows, I thought I would try Linux.

Installing Ubuntu Linux was very easy, it practically installed itself, and came with Firefox and Thunderbird e-mail and a media player. It was also very easy to install Libre Office, photo editor and VLC media player. It recognises and works my printer and scanner and sound card, reads and produces documents and pictures in any format, manipulates files and can read and create zip files. 

The interface is as easy as microsoft and similar in many ways.

Diasi

Yes, I found it easy to use but as I said, at the time most commercial programmes didn't recognise Linux so Windows it was.

I use Macrium Reflect to create a complete system image back-up so that should Windows ever fail I can restore everything that was on the PC at that time.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

MS provide install downloads on still supported operating systems.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Linux will work for basic needs no problem. The problems come when you need to do things outside of the mundane or have some piece of equipment it doesn't support from a normal install, or maybe use some windows software that won't run under WINE.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 12, 2023, 04:20:55 PMMS provide install downloads on still supported operating systems.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Linux will work for basic needs no problem. The problems come when you need to do things outside of the mundane or have some piece of equipment it doesn't support from a normal install, or maybe use some windows software that won't run un
Yes & since the licence is already embedded on the PC you don't need a licence key.

I do a system image as it's far quicker & it will restore everything that was on the PC before it crashed.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I do take images but tend to forget so they are often quite old when I get around to doing another one.  I've never actually used one so far as I remember. Macrium Reflect seem to be phasing out the free edition. The last update I got gave a time when there would be no more. Forget when but it was soon.

What I do make sure I image is the Raspberry Pi. I've spent many hours adding stuff to that. Even then it's only every month or so. Just checked and the latest is 13 September so time for another.

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on December 12, 2023, 09:00:34 AMI use Macrium Reflect to create a complete system image back-up so that should Windows ever fail I can restore everything that was on the PC at that time.
Yes, I must do that now that I have installed Windows 11.
I seem to remember doing it before, some time ago, but I can't find it now.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 12, 2023, 04:59:51 PMI do take images but tend to forget so they are often quite old when I get around to doing another one.  I've never actually used one so far as I remember. Macrium Reflect seem to be phasing out the free edition. The last update I got gave a time when there would be no more. Forget when but it was soon.

What I do make sure I image is the Raspberry Pi. I've spent many hours adding stuff to that. Even then it's only every month or so. Just checked and the latest is 13 September so time for another.
The free version will still be around but there won't be any upgrades after Jan 2024, but for simple domestic PC work it won't really matter.

I got into the habit of doing regular system images when I did tax returns & I still do a backup more or less every week.
[email protected]

JBR

I'm just wondering, if Macrium Reflect does cease being supported, would it be possible to install a backup made using that software?

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on December 12, 2023, 06:24:45 PMI'm just wondering, if Macrium Reflect does cease being supported, would it be possible to install a backup made using that software?
Macrium Reflect Free will work in perpetuity according to it's creators.

It's just that you won't get any additional features, which won't be an issue for those of us who aren't using it at a professional level.
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on December 12, 2023, 07:31:19 PMMacrium Reflect Free will work in perpetuity according to it's creators.

It's just that you won't get any additional features, which won't be an issue for those of us who aren't using it at a professional level.
Ah, good news.  Thank you.
I must do a system image backup,
when I get a round tuit.