New Chancellor.

Started by Raven, September 26, 2022, 03:23:25 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Sooooooo, he's "under pressure" poor him. What are your thoughts on his tax cut for the favoured few?
Lots n lots of unhappy Bunnies today in the News.

BBC News - Pressure on Kwasi Kwarteng as sterling slide continues
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63031654

Diasi

I can see why he's done it & it does seem a shrewd move, despite being a bit of a gamble.

As for the pound sliding it's what the money manipulators do when they don't like something, just as they deliberately caused the pound to drop after they didn't get the Brexit result on which they'd been gambling in their trading rooms.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

They know these tax cuts are going to be unpopular, so IMO the government must think they're going to work.

The tax cut does nothing for us, but perhaps our kids will be generous at Xmas! The £66 monthly payment for 6 months and the £300 extra WFA will help enormously over the coldest spell. And I believe pensioners may do better next year.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

I hope your right GM I hope your right.  [2080]

Ashy

I think he has cut income tax for everyone. I'd like to see a cut in VAT or its abolition. We should tax Chinese imports and encourage our own industry.

klondike

I think the basis of the complaints is that the tax cut allows those paying most tax to retain bigger amounts of their own money than those paying less tax. Reducing tax always does that.

The only way to target money at the poor is to pay more in benefits. Then people moan about the work shy getting more money. I don't think it is possible to win. I suppose they could give everybody living in an odd numbered house £1,000. That would at least please about half the population.

Michael Rolls

don't forget - as ever, Nicola intends to be different.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on September 26, 2022, 06:58:26 PMI hope your right GM I hope your right.  [2080]
The State Pension, next April, will rise by whatever the CPI figure is this month, which is forecast to be around 10%.

September 27, 2022, 09:12:36 AM
Quote from: klondike on September 26, 2022, 09:07:44 PMI think the basis of the complaints is that the tax cut allows those paying most tax to retain bigger amounts of their own money than those paying less tax. Reducing tax always does that.

The only way to target money at the poor is to pay more in benefits. Then people moan about the work shy getting more money. I don't think it is possible to win. I suppose they could give everybody living in an odd numbered house £1,000. That would at least please about half the population.
Bugger, I lose out in the benefits handout yet again.

But what you say is correct, if I had a hundred quid for every dole claimant who said it wasn't worth them working as they'd be either worse off or working for an extra £10 a week, I'd be a millionaire.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Likewise.

I'm too rich to benefit from Labour and too poor to benefit from the Tories. I sit firmly in the middle 90%

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on September 27, 2022, 09:14:36 AMLikewise.

I'm too rich to benefit from Labour and too poor to benefit from the Tories. I sit firmly in the middle 90%
Me too.

I often wonder if I'm a distant descendant of Atlas as I seem to be constantly supporting the freebie benefits system.
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on September 27, 2022, 09:14:36 AMLikewise.

That's us too!  :rolleyes:
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

We may not even have a Triple Lock next year, they won't guarantee that we will.  

klondike

Their manifesto from 2019 guaranteed it. They reneged on that last year but I think they said it was back for this year. I suppose it depends whether they want to just lose the next election or go for a total wipeout.