What the Reform Party Would Do if in Power.

Started by Diasi, August 09, 2022, 08:49:59 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

It has always been Labour or Conservative when we go to the polls..
Many years ago it was Conservative (upper class) Labour (working class)..
People would display in their windows who they were voting for.. I was bought up knowing those around me voted Labour..

There have been many different parties ,even the Loony Party.. also celebrities have jumped in on the act of voicing  their opinion..
We just don't listen anymore.. and seldom read what THEY hope to do for us should they be voted into power. Simply because promises of 'this' and 'that' and changes are seldom carried out..
So many of us stick with what we know because we don't want the 'others' to win.. Or we just don't bother ..
I certainly would vote for the Reform Party.. if I believed everything they hoped for could be achieved.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

The ongoing problem is that most people - and their dads - in this country have always voted strongly either Conservative or Labour.
It's like the same two football clubs vying for position, each with their own supporters who will never vote for the other side.

The real problem is that they are so brainwashed to vote for the one or the other, they completely ignore any possibility of voting for a third (or fourth) football team.
Consequently, these two are the only political parties which have ever been in power for over a hundred years.

Unfortunately, I just cannot see our electorate ever changing their positions.
Nevertheless, I shall vote for Reform UK in 2024 if they stand where I live.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on August 09, 2022, 12:15:19 PMIf a substantial number of votes go to a new party you will see the others adopting their policies. As in a referendum for leaving the e.u. so it is important to vote for what you want.

I think Reform have got the MSM woried as this is how they describe him. 

Richard James Sunley Tice is a British businessman and far-right politician who has been Leader of Reform UK since 6 March 2021.

I voted for UKIP in the 2014 EU Election & it kicked Cameron's arse into giving us the 2016 EU Referendum & I'd like to think that this would work in 2024 but the stakes are a lot higher as it could let Labour into power if the percentage of voters who swing to Reform aren't equal between Tory & Labour.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

I agree.
I am sure that Reform UK will not receive sufficient votes in order to form a government.

However, as long as Labour and Conservative politicians believe that many of us will vote for Reform UK in 2024 and therefore take away votes from them, perhaps they will begin to consider what specific changes Reform are promising their voters and even decide to offer those same changes as part of their own manifestos!

Even so, what good will that do when we all know the politicians lie and what they promise in their manifestos will be unlikely to be delivered!

Ashy

In our system, Reform could come second in every constituency. That would mean they got nearly twice the votes of the "winners" and yet not get a single seat. Whereas the SNP can win over 50 seats with less votes than a minor party in England. How democracy works.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on August 09, 2022, 08:14:51 PMIn our system, Reform could come second in every constituency. That would mean they got nearly twice the votes of the "winners" and yet not get a single seat. Whereas the SNP can win over 50 seats with less votes than a minor party in England. How democracy works.
Exactly what is wrong with our 'first past the post' system.
We really need proportional representation if we want true democracy.

klondike

I think UKIP's main path to success was in persuading Cameron that they were predominantly taking Tory votes. Whether or not they really were is irrelevant once Cameron thought they were.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 09, 2022, 08:46:33 PMI think UKIP's main path to success was in persuading Cameron that they were predominantly taking Tory votes. Whether or not they really were is irrelevant once Cameron thought they were.
Yes indeed.
If only the same thing happens again in 2024 it would almost certainly be to our advantage.

hugh

With Liz Truss has Prime Minister it will very much look like a reformed party, with men very much in charge over the last few years and doing a poor job. Rishi has PM it would hand the the general election on a plate to the Labour Party. I am hoping Liz will make good use of the ladies who were in the leadership contest with her.  I strongly feel Rishi and his team had a lot to do with them being vote out. One lady already been offered a job with Liz.
Happy Golfer

JBR

Quote from: hugh on August 13, 2022, 10:43:51 AMWith Liz Truss has Prime Minister it will very much look like a reformed party, with men very much in charge over the last few years and doing a poor job. Rishi has PM it would hand the the general election on a plate to the Labour Party. I am hoping Liz will make good use of the ladies who were in the leadership contest with her.  I strongly feel Rishi and his team had a lot to do with them being vote out. One lady already been offered a job with Liz.
Yes, I'm beginning to hope that, out of the hopeless candidates available, Truss will win.

We've had two female PMs so far: one, the best we've had since Churchill; the other, a complete and unmitigated disaster and, like Boris, a blatent liar.
I'm hoping that the third turns out to be like the first.

Jacqueline

Quote from: JBR on August 09, 2022, 08:32:09 PMExactly what is wrong with our 'first past the post' system.
We really need proportional representation if we want true democracy.
Yes and a better one than they tried to give us some years ago, they knew we would turn that one down, why didn't they offer us the same PR as the EU one, the answer being they know their parties would be the losers, they are daft but not that daft.

klondike

Time will tell. It will be a very short time too as the shit will start hitting the fan when the power bills start hitting the doorsteps (or more likely appear on the websites - I haven't had a power bill through the letterbox in decades now).

hugh

With Jacob Rees-Mogg supporting Liz, an MP who in his own right would make an excellent PM. is good news. I really feel we have no need to worry about our power bill Liz will already have it sorted, but not going to reveal it, for Rishi to copy. Liz will be just has strong M.Thatcher but in a very different way. 
Happy Golfer