A Bit of the Areas Unsavory History.

Started by Raven, February 17, 2022, 11:59:40 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

Heard about these stones at the pool this morning, so went to have a nose on the way home for breakfast. These huge stones are on the beach just now, they had been buried deep in the sand but the recent massive upheaval of the ocean has uncovered them.
Was told  that witches were tied to them at low tide and then left to either drown (and that meant they weren't actually witches and were not guilty) or if they survived the tide coming in it proved they were witches and then they would be put to death.

Michael Rolls

yes - never understood that thinking - similar idea with tossing alleged witches into a lake or river. If she sank and drowned she was innocent, if she floated she was a witch and should be put to death - talk about lose-lose situations
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

1955vintage

The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Raven

Scrumpy

Deadman's Island.. Very interesting to read..There must be bodies laying around in many places.. Life was cheap back then..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

In some parts of the world it still is, thankfully we've moved on from murdering witches.

klondike

There have been some horrific stories from the witch burning days. I saw or read something about children declaring their parents to be witches. Nobody has any clue why.

GrannyMac

I visited Forres in Morayshire often as a child, and was fascinated by the Witches' stone. Horrific!

https://visitforres.scot/the-witches-stone/
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

zoony

Some say Mass hysteria.. and only one witch is recorded as being burned in England, Marjory Jordemaine, though many were executed, mostly hanged.