Started by Scrumpy, February 15, 2024, 09:38:14 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

We had those.  Reinforced! 🤣
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

Awful bloody things, hated them......Shudder. :downvote:

Scrumpy

Standing outside the Head Masters office because I was showing off in class.. It soon wiped the smile off my face..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 18, 2024, 01:34:57 PMStanding outside the Head Masters office because I was showing off in class.. It soon wiped the smile off my face..

AND, they used the belt back then. Today's wee angels don't know what their missing. Do a lot of them some good.  :nooo:

JBR

Quote from: Raven on February 18, 2024, 03:36:39 PMAND, they used the belt back then. Today's wee angels don't know what their missing. Do a lot of them some good.  :nooo:
Yes, lack of effective physical punishments, both at school and in the home, are why the present crop of young people are getting away with murder and also letting the country down.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

The girls got the cane.. The boys got the slipper..
The cane across the palm/fingers was painful..

It must have been embarrassing for a boy having to bend over while a grown man smacked his bottom with a slipper..
Something a bit worrying about that..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Quote from: Raven on February 18, 2024, 03:36:39 PMAND, they used the belt back then. Today's wee angels don't know what their missing. Do a lot of them some good.  :nooo:

After suffering many beltings from a psychopathic old witch of a teacher, for no real reason, I'm glad my children and grandchildren weren't punished indiscriminately by some nutter.  I was an only child of older parents. I was pretty well read and articulate, not badly behaved, but anything I said or did just seemed to enrage her.

OH got the belt occasionally too, but as he said, he deserved it! 

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 18, 2024, 05:20:39 PMThe girls got the cane.. The boys got the slipper..
The cane across the palm/fingers was painful..

It must have been embarrassing for a boy having to bend over while a grown man smacked his bottom with a slipper..
Something a bit worrying about that..

Oh, we got the cane.  Slippers were too soft at our school.
Actually, I never got the cane when I didn't deserve it... except for one glaring occasion.

There had been complaints, apparently, from the girls' school next door that boys had been looking over the dividing wall at the girls in their playground, and we were ordered not to even go near that wall.

One day, when playtime was almost over, some of us were waiting for the next lesson near the entrance to the woodwork/metalwork/music rooms when an irate master approached and accused us of being too close to 'the wall'.  None of us had been anywhere near it, but were just about to go in to our next lessons, but he wasn't going to listen to any lies.
We all had to go with him to the head and all got a caning.

It wasn't the pain; it was the injustice.
I've never forgotten that.

GrannyMac

Exactly that JBR, injustice. When it's a regular occurrence, its damaging.

dextrous63

Injustices they may be...I used to call it quits for the stuff I did and got away with.  Karma indeed.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 18, 2024, 08:54:13 PMInjustices they may be...I used to call it quits for the stuff I did and got away with.  Karma indeed.
Oh dear.  Oh dearie dearie me.

Of course, I never did anything wrong.  😏

dextrous63

Ah.  Have you relocated to a river in Egypt?

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 18, 2024, 10:13:20 PMAh.  Have you relocated to a river in Egypt?
Oh, you mean the Styx?

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on February 18, 2024, 10:28:27 PMOh, you mean the Styx?
No.  I thought you were now in de Nile.

Silver Tabby

My first memory is a very hazy one.  I was about 20 months old - being taken to have a photograph done somewhere in Dublin.  Was wearing a striped dress and new white kid shoes.  Stubbed my toe and marked the shoes and, for the first time ever, had my legs slapped!