Childhood memories..

Started by Scrumpy, February 15, 2024, 09:38:14 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Going off with the kids in the street to the big park up the road..
We took bottles of water... No posh sandwiches.. We had battles and killed each other with ferns.. pointed like arrows.. 

Add your memories.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

I was given £2 - in the form of four ten bob notes - for passing the 11 plus. I kept them in the bookcase whilst I dreamed of what to do with such a fortune. Came home from school - the coalman had come unexpectedly and the only money in the house was my fortune. Just checked - that £2 had the purchasing power of £91 today! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Going for a walk to a nearby newsagent (more of a confectionery iirc), and buying lucky dip bags for either 3d or 6d (can't remember, but it was one of those coins).  Oooh, the excitement of discovering what was inside...little toy, perhaps a sherbert spaceship, little box of candy cigarettes etc.  Or, instead of that capital investment, buying some lemon bonbons, poured out of a huge jar and weighed on the old balancing scales.

Walking back to the park (our house was right opposite one), eating those sweeties and having a drink of from an ornate marble water fountain.

klondike

Yep - all that with the sweet shop. I remember lucky bag toy cars. There was a set. As with all these collectables one was rare so you kept buying and one was crap and common - with the cars the crap one was a little one which I think was a Fiat. I rememder it as Fiat 500 but I don't know if that model was around then. I don't recall if I ever completed the set but if I did and still had them along with the bags they'd probably be worth a fortune. I liked the race cars as they had decent wheels and would go if given a push.

Reminded me of another memory....

EMPIRE MADE

Scrumpy

We used to buy sweet cigarettes .. They were white with a red tip.. They looked the part.. 
We used to pretend we were smoking .. Taking deep breaths in and blowing out imaginary smoke.. 
We had seen in done in the movies... we were film stars.. 

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 15, 2024, 11:35:31 AMWe used to buy sweet cigarettes .. They were white with a red tip.. They looked the part..
We used to pretend we were smoking .. Taking deep breaths in and blowing out imaginary smoke..
We had seen in done in the movies... we were film stars..

I remember them, they had a very distinctive taste as well. :upvote:

klondike

Not seen any in years. I expect they were banned. 

dextrous63

Sitting down in Wimpy's to eat knickerbocker glory or a banana split.

klondike

Holidays with parents. Penny machines and end of pier. Boating pool with motor boats. Sandcastles, paddling, beach.

Scrumpy

Big gobstoppers.. that changed colour as you sucked them..  And we shared them..until the colour changed..
 Nobody cared whose mouth it had been in..

Bubble gum that tasted like candle wax.. 

klondike

Sherbert dips - if you sucked on the liquorice tube in the dips you could end up choking.

Flying saucers pretty tasteless.

Four a penny blackjacks and some fruity ones the same size - don't recall the name I think they were raspberry  and lemon. Black tongue from the blackjacks.

Horrible pink shrimps. Tasted of pretty much nothing.

On reflection that raspberry and lemon may well thave been rhubarb and custard

GrannyMac

All the sweeties bring back memories, didn't like gobstoppers, but liked the pink shrimps!

I remember nipping to the grocers for a block of ice cream after I'd eaten my main course at dinner time. (Lunch time these days).  I'd run back with the Neapolitan which we'd have in slices with tinned fruit.   A treat.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

dextrous63

Ah, happy memories indeed.

Any of you buy sheets of rice paper which you could eat after writing on it?  To hell with whatever dangers lurked in quink ink.

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

And what about navy blue knickers.. !! We wore them with a white shirt for sport.. I was only little but remember being embarrassed if we had to walk by any boys..
My school was not mixed classes...