First Royal story I 've taken notice of in ages

Started by klondike, January 20, 2024, 10:33:49 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

I did enjoy reading it too

Prince Harry Faces $950,000 Legal Costs After Dropping Libel Case Against Newspaper

Prince Harry dropped his court case against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday on Friday, allegedly incurring a whopper legal bill in doing so, one of several cases the Duke brought against British newspapers over the past year.

The legal team for Prince Harry had been due to hand over documents relating to his case against Associated Newspapers Ltd to the court on Friday, but instead made a last minute notification that they were "discontinuing" the case. Associated Newspapers is the publisher of the Mail on Sunday which the Prince had alleged had published a libelous article about him in February 2022.

The Associated Press notes that the discontinuation of the case makes the Prince liable for both his own costs and the legal bill of Associated Newspapers. While a spokesman for the Prince is reported to have said it is premature to speak of costs at this stage, the Sunday Mail's sister newspaper the Daily Mail claims the estimated bill for the abandoned libel trial to stand at some £750,000 ($950,000).

The article triggering the trial was over the Duke's security arrangements after his withdrawal from official duties as a working member of the British Royal Family. The newspaper had alleged that Prince Harry had privately attempted to keep police protection at public expense, a claim he rejected and said — per the Mail — it "attacked his honesty and integrity". The newspaper claimed what had been written was reasonable as it constituted an "honest opinion", but Harry's legal team countered it was published as news, rather than an opinion piece.

A ruling last month meant the Prince's legal team's attempt to have the "honest opinion" defence thrown out failed, imperilling the integrity of the case.

The Associated Newspapers case is one of several the Duke launched in his battle against the newspapers he believes have hounded him throughout his life and caused considerable harm, going back to the death of his mother, Diana the Princess of Wales, in 1997. A further case against Associated Newspapers over phone hacking and other unlawful spying is still going through court, and a case against the publisher of The Sun over similar claims is yet to come.

Harry had a court victory at the end of last year, when he was awarded over £140,000 from the Mirror Group of newspapers, again for phone hacking.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2024/01/19/prince-harry-faces-950000-legal-costs-after-dropping-libel-case-against-newspaper/

JBR

I believe that Harold is his own worst enemy!

He is undoubtedly lacking in common sense, in fact he is like a 40W light bulb: just a little dim. 
To make matters worse for himself, he blindly obeys all orders received from his boss Meagain, who is not only rather dim herself but also very conniving.

I have in the past decided not to even bother reading anything about them, but on the other hand things like this report appear now and again and I just can't avoid having a quick look at them!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

I don't believe a word of what the media write about the Sussex's, they know what sells their papers so they mix lies and the truth to pull readers in. As far as I'm concerned they are scum, :angry:  the media not Harry.

Alex

She wears the trousers that's pretty obvious, he'll get fed up one day then what will he do  ?  Silly boy. :grin:

Scrumpy

What will he do.. ?

He will return to the UK hoping to be spoiled.. pampered and live in luxury..
 He is showing his true colours.. and he has the perfect partner in Meghan to display them..
Greedy, greedy man..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 21, 2024, 10:00:07 AMWhat will he do.. ?

He will return to the UK hoping to be spoiled.. pampered and live in luxury..
 He is showing his true colours.. and he has the perfect partner in Meghan to display them..
Greedy, greedy man..
I think that although he is greedy, I think that's Meagain talking.
Harry is just like a Toc-H lamp; a bit dim.

Scrumpy

I might add that he has been spoiled as a child and still acts childish..

klondike

I have no time for him. He was born into wealth and privilege and by virtue of always being second fiddle never really had much in the way of obligations. Despite that he seems to be trying his best to trash the monarchy with stuff that is either made up or better kept private.

Yes he had some shit when his mother was killed when he was pretty young but he's hardly alone in that. Yes he was never going to be king. Boo hoo. I will never be king either.

Ashy

Never envy a rich man, a rich man is only a poor man, with wealth.

Michael Rolls

I was impressed with his army service, and the naval service of Andrew
Clay feet up to their armpits
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 21, 2024, 01:23:42 PMI was impressed with his army service, and the naval service of Andrew
Clay feet up to their armpits

Really?
He claims to have been a helicopter pilot.  He wasn't.  He was (sometimes) a gunner on a helicopter.
Whether in the air or on the ground, he was kept under close supervision and protection because of his Royal status.  On the other hand he seems to have been awarded medals for some reason:
Afghanistan service medal (for being there), Gold, Diamond and Platinum Jubilee Medals (for being born), and KCVO star (for 'personal service to the monarch', perhaps including the 'complimentary' books he has written about them!).

Scrumpy

It always amazes me how Andrew and Harry were lauded over their time spent in the forces.. What a load of crap.. They were protected night and day.. Spoiled kids playing war games..