Water Cannon

Started by Alex, December 31, 2023, 10:47:02 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

For some reason Sadiq Khan is against the use of water cannon on London's streets.  Yesterday was one of many incidents where their use would have protected police officers.  Boris Johnson bought three from the German police service, but they were never used and Theresa May as Home Secretary banned them.  This is what I've read about Boris's so called 'white elephant' but still can't see a reason why Khan, who sold them for scrap, doesn't invest in at least one !  Another question not answered is why Theresa banned them  :rolleyes:

The racist in me :grin: thinks Khan knows they would be used on his fellow muslims, who seem to be the main rioters, but that can't be true - can it ? :cool:

Michael Rolls

of course it is - wretched man
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

They should have kept them.. and used them..
Sadiq Khan .. as you say.. won't use them against his own people..
Big changes are needed there.. but I can't see any coming..
It certainly is a THEM and US thing going on and THEM are the powerful ones.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Have a tenner on him getting another term as Mayor  :upvote:

Ashy

It's a tricky question. Water at high pressure is very dangerous and in the nature of things, only the British would be hit by a water cannon.

If there was a notified march or demonstration, the police could have the water cannon handy, but if they are called to a potential riot, the WC will be somewhere else. Let's say they keep it at Edmonton and the riot's in Catford, it would be on the road for over an hour, that's if they had someone who could drive it and use it and it was full of water and otherwise ready.

More trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

Alex

Surely the pressure can be regulated when aiming at crowds ? Other countries seem to manage with them, Germany in particular has multiple vehicles.

Ashy

I'm not qualified to answer that! I don't think so from the films I've seen of them in action.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1741328158073454759

klondike

Quote from: Ashy on December 31, 2023, 01:50:15 PMMore trouble than it's worth in my opinion.
Plenty of European countries would disagree with you. I couldn't find a simple list but saw reports of their use in Germany Poland and Hungary quickly enough. I also saw that we manufacture them for export.

JBR

All perfectly true about Treason May banning them.
Also, if some people insist that they can be dangerous, that doesn't seem to be important in other countries such as Germany and others.
When some other countries (no names of course) are happy to resort to firearms when necessary, water cannon cannot be too bad, surely?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on December 31, 2023, 03:22:50 PMPlenty of European countries would disagree with you. I couldn't find a simple list but saw reports of their use in Germany Poland and Hungary quickly enough. I also saw that we manufacture them for export.
I really meant just having one would be difficult. But owning and maintaining them would be expensive and our city is broke. Believe me you don't ever want to be hit by one.

dextrous63

Maybe we could have a fleet of drones, each carrying a water pistol to squirt stuff at people.  

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on December 31, 2023, 01:50:15 PMIt's a tricky question. Water at high pressure is very dangerous and in the nature of things, only the British would be hit by a water cannon.

If there was a notified march or demonstration, the police could have the water cannon handy, but if they are called to a potential riot, the WC will be somewhere else. Let's say they keep it at Edmonton and the riot's in Catford, it would be on the road for over an hour, that's if they had someone who could drive it and use it and it was full of water and otherwise ready.

More trouble than it's worth in my opinion.
Quote from: Ashy on December 31, 2023, 03:20:16 PMI'm not qualified to answer that! I don't think so from the films I've seen of them in action.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1741328158073454759
The ideal of the water canons is to knock people flying, however, the water is not of a sufficient pressure, as the jet is far too wide, to inflict any life-changing harm.

You would need to climb onto the vehicle & stick your face in front of it.

My Karcher jet washer will skin my toe from an inch away but not from waist height.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on December 31, 2023, 05:23:54 PMMaybe we could have a fleet of drones, each carrying a water pistol to squirt stuff at people. 
Whether water cannon or drones, we should include indelible dye.
A nice blue colour to match the Israeli flag.  That would upset them.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on December 31, 2023, 05:25:47 PMMy Karcher jet washer will skin my toe from an inch away but not from waist height.
I expect in this current world of lunacy there is something in the user guide warning against using one to trim your toenails.

dextrous63

If water canons can't be used, how about industrial metal cutting lasers instead?