Get That Blooming Plane Down.

Started by Raven, December 28, 2023, 01:35:09 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Saw this on the News last evening, OMG, I would have been terrified if I'd been on board.  :yell:  :worried:

https://youtu.be/5hIqXjAmo6k?si=ia-D9HQVln_2gDqJ

dextrous63

Computers and experience is one thing, but the crew must have been bricking themselves.  White knuckle ride, or what?!!!!

Raven

The guy on the commentary was getting in a bit of a state.

Ashy

dextrous63

Quote from: Raven on December 28, 2023, 01:57:00 PMThe guy on the commentary was getting in a bit of a state.
Turn on the subtitles.  Equally as funny to think that voice recognition software was in play😉🤭

Alex

The voice was funny, the landing not !  I've been on a landing like that, you know it's bad when the stewardess is sick !  :grin:

JBR

Quote from: Raven on December 28, 2023, 01:57:00 PMThe guy on the commentary was getting in a bit of a state.
Yes, he was becoming a little overexcited.  A bit of a giveaway as to his knowledge (or lack of it).
This event was by no means unusual.  Such landings happen fairly frequently in such bad weather, and bumping along a few times before coming to a rest is not as rare as some people think.

What I found more unusual about this latest storm was the occurrence of a tornado - apparently a real tornado - which removed house roofs and caused a lot of damage to several homes to the east of Manchester last night.  Comfortably remote from where we live, fortunately, though it did rip apart our garden swing lounger!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

I saw the pictures of those houses in Manc. That must have been terrifying for the occupants
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The are apparently an average of 30 tornadoes reported a year in the UK...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/tornadoes#:~:text=Around%2030%20tornadoes%20a%20year,pass%20over%20built%2Dup%20areas.

Around 30 tornadoes a year are reported in the UK. These are typically small and short-lived, but can cause structural damage if they pass over built-up areas.

I can certainly recall other reports of them in the UK.

klondike

Found in my usual quick 5 mins of youtube before bed that lasts an hour....

Scrumpy

Flying is scary for me.. 
Saw the news footage of Manchester and tornado .. That is really scary..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

klondike

It was just a YouTube short so I don't know anything much about it. I assume it is genuine but really can't be sure as I don't know just how strong airliners are. I will say that I doubt the pilot had any real control over what happened as the airspeed must have been well below the speed where the control surfaces could do very much.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2023, 02:02:40 PMIt was just a YouTube short so I don't know anything much about it. I assume it is genuine but really can't be sure as I don't know just how strong airliners are. I will say that I doubt the pilot had any real control over what happened as the airspeed must have been well below the speed where the control surfaces could do very much.
It was an impressive recovery, though I have seen several such realistic sequences on YouTube which someone has created to impress.  Whether this one is genuine or not I have no idea.

No, I think it is fake.  Several puffs of black smoke issuing from unusual places, crashing down like that without damaging the undercarriage, then finally coming to rest on the grass next to a fence, neither of which showed any damage.  Also, what prompted him to try to land on the taxiway rather than the adjacent runway?
No, I call it a fake!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on December 28, 2023, 11:03:55 PMFound in my usual quick 5 mins of youtube before bed that lasts an hour....
I'm pretty sure this is a recording from a simulator.