Geert Wilders

Started by Alex, November 23, 2023, 06:23:26 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

His anti immigration party has won the election in Holland, Party for Freedom (PVV) is on course to be the largest party in the Dutch parliament, with 37 seats in a major electoral upset whose reverberations will be felt around Europe.    Has it been on BBC or Sky news  ?

klondike

Dunno I never watch or read either but I might amuse myself and see what the BBC has  to say about it.  :grin:

Breitbart did give these numbers 
Wilders even exceeded the highest polls to take 37 seats in the Netherlands' 150-seat parliament. 

and say his is the biggest party but I wonder if the others will somehow strive to prevent him getting full control as there is no majority as is usually the case in places using proportional representation which gives more parties seats.

Ashy

We shall have to wait and see what arrangements he can make to form a government.

JBR

I sincerely hope he has a majority behind him.  I have a feeling that if the Netherlands should decide to leave the EU, it would be likely to attract others to follow them.

News reports suggest that the UK is now growing financially more secure than the EU, which would suggest that we were right to vote to leave a few years ago.

That, too, might suggest that others could follow us.

Unfortunately, there are some EU countries which couldn't afford to leave, perhaps because they are in some way in hock to Brussels.  I think Greece is one such, and there may be more.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

As the net contributors bail out there will be less cash around to give the net recipients anyway. I think Poland is still a net recipient but from stuff I've read the price the EU demands for their money looks ever less attractive and they could leave too. I hope I live to see the evil empire tumble. I'm certain that my children will.

Alex

Just hoping he's not brought down before he starts. Britain needs a Geert folks !!!!

Diasi

The sooner people realise that the EU was founded for the benefit of the, in the main, Jewish bankers, they'll understand why some of us voted to leave in 1975.

The EU was never intended to be for the benefit of member countries or their populations.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on November 24, 2023, 07:20:50 AMThe sooner people realise that the EU was founded for the benefit of the, in the main, Jewish bankers, they'll understand why some of us voted to leave in 1975.

The EU was never intended to be for the benefit of member countries or their populations.
I wasn't aware of the Jewish bankers' influence on the EU.

As far as I'm concerned, the formation and expansion of the EU was solely in order to eventually a second Reich, a European empire under the control of a single authority in Belgium, the European Commission.

The Commission is elected by representatives of each EU member state, but when you have two or three of those states who decide to unite to take control, and bully smaller states to join them or suffer the consequences, you have an empire.

Well, the Empire is taking control, but at the same time it seems to be suffering economic problems just like we are and, if reports are to be believed, at a greater level than our problems.

klondike

Having Germany and Greece use the same currency? The only thing those two have in common is that in English (only) both names start with a G. There was always going to be problems with the Euro and by all accounts there are.

Alex

Economic antisemitism ! 
Here's me thinking the EU was financed from its own resources - meaning us when we were in it  !

JBR

Quote from: Alex on November 24, 2023, 02:34:22 PMEconomic antisemitism ! 
Here's me thinking the EU was financed from its own resources - meaning us when we were in it  !
Oh, I'm sure we still contribute in many ways.  Our fishing areas, for example.

Raven

I believe the fishing was arranged as part of the Brexit deal temporarily only. If the rest of the fishing fleets feel the way our ones here feel, once it ends then they won't be getting back in Scotland's waters.

klondike

Assuming there are any UK boats still operating when that "once" period is up.

ansu

Wow, that's interesting - however, as far as I know nobody in the Netherlands wants to leave the EU and even Geert Wilders seems to have eaten chalk lately, as we say. 
You wanted the Brexit and you got it, but so far I can't see any advantages. By the way, I also read English papers.

Alex

Geert Wilders has softened his stance yes, he needs to get his feet under the table now he has won the election.  I don't think Netherlands will leave the EU, as it stands the Dutch people wouldn't be allowed a referendum but Poland may beat them to it though  !

Yes, over 17 billion of us wanted Brexit.  The main advantage I can see, apart from no longer having some suit in Brussels make rules for us to follow, is we are doing well with international trade deals, this is where we will prosper.