Fleeing Ukraine.

Started by Raven, November 17, 2023, 12:38:24 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

I find this article a bit disturbing, while I can understand it (kind of) I can't help thinking......What a difference in a few generations. Our young people were lying about their age so as they could fight for their country. Today's young people seem to want the likes of the UK and other countries to sort out the mess for them. It's sad really.

BBC News - Swimming rivers and faking illness to escape Ukraine's draft
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67120904

klondike

There were plenty of Vietnam was draft dodgers back in the day.

We hear claims of huge numbers of Russians killed - https://minusrus.com/en
Ukraine doesn't give any details of their own losses. I imagine that they too are quite high. I have no idea at all if I'd have been gung ho to go or a draft dodger at age 18 when most think they are invincible. I know now that nobody is invincible in a modern war but would I have known that as an 18 year old? Probably not.

Alex

All they had to do was rack up at Dover in a dinghy, problem solved.

GrannyMac

They're a bit pale for that option...
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Our last two world wars saw thousands of our young lads fighting for their country.. Poor sods.. they were just fodder for the most part..
The pain of losing a (Young) child.. because that is what some were.. must have been devastating..
I certainly wouldn't want my son , at that tender age, to fight for this country..
The way this country is going at the moment I can't see any youngster fighting for it.. Russian Mothers are weeping.. as Ukraine Mothers are..
Leave it to the Generals and those in government to sort it.. Stick them in a trench.. rotting away.. hungry.. cold.. scared..  
 Good luck to those who try to escape it.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

I quite agree I wouldn't want my son fighting either. The point I was trying to put across is, the difference in attitudes of todays youngsters from those a few generations back.

klondike

Not a lot to be proud of about GB these days is there? 

Raven

Not compared to a couple of generations back, and the more you go back the more proud the British seemed to be. IMO anyway.

klondike

At the start of WW2 this country headed up an empire.

Michael Rolls

The biggest Empire that the world had ever seen. The old 'the sun never sets on the British Empire' was actually true
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on November 17, 2023, 04:07:10 PMAt the start of WW2 this country headed up an empire.
So it did at the end of the war.

klondike

JBR

Quote from: klondike on November 17, 2023, 03:43:29 PMNot a lot to be proud of about GB these days is there?
That is very true, unfortunately.

What is there to fight for now, though?

In any event, our enemies today don't need to fight us.  We all know how they operate, and they seem to have our government and other authorities on their side.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: Ashy on November 17, 2023, 06:09:58 PMSo it did at the end of the war.

Indeed and at the start of WW2 the pound sterling was the world's default currency. Post American chicanery and the 'Breton Woods Agreement' suddenly the dollar replaced it ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on November 18, 2023, 05:00:10 PMIndeed and at the start of WW2 the pound sterling was the world's default currency. Post American chicanery and the 'Breton Woods Agreement' suddenly the dollar replaced it ...
Naturally, I wouldn't assign any blame to America for that.
The fall of the strength the pound once had is entirely down to us, and specifically our governments.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire