Fence.

Started by Raven, November 12, 2023, 08:34:55 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

Things are coming on and taking shape.
Out with Dageus just now and am almost blue,no sign of the frost lifting. Will be glad to get home to the fire and my toast n latte.

Alex

And Dunc !  😁 😁 😁

klondike

Should soon be done then.  :upvote:

dextrous63

The timber near the house looks like feather edge.  Should be good and strong and done within a day or two, subject to weather.

Raven

All Done, and I'm back up North.

GrannyMac

Looks strong and nice and neat.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

Will need to be painted, David says he will do it if there is another couple of sunny days. Then it will be repainted properly come the Spring.
Fair chuffed with it, what a difference it makes.

dextrous63

Aha.  Not featheredge after all.  But will allow a draft through, so unlikely to be blown over.  Excellent.

Why does it need painting?  Looks like treated timber to me and it's design means it'll dry out quickly and last at least 25 years at a minimum.

Raven

It has been treated but Scottish Winters are likely to see that off. The other fences get a coat of "Ronseal Fence Life" every 2nd year along with the shed. Helps to keep them protected.

Alex

Looking good and sturdy Raven :upvote:   One of my fences looks like that but not as high.  The neighbour one side built it himself and I went halves with the wood.  Neighbour the other side went halves with me, but my side is panels on top of brick looking bases, now looking a bit tired.  At first I thought his fence looked like bloody Southfork and I didn't like it, but couple of years down the line it looks good and hardly notice it now.

dextrous63

Quote from: Raven on November 13, 2023, 10:18:41 PMIt has been treated but Scottish Winters are likely to see that off. The other fences get a coat of "Ronseal Fence Life" every 2nd year along with the shed. Helps to keep them protected.
Fair enough.  Although I think the fact that it allows air through it will help protect it from becoming sodden.

Alex

My neighbour says his will never have to be painted, but our winters aren't as harsh as those in Scotland

Raven

Yes it should, I also wanted gaps between the slats as the wind was the main wrecker of the panels that I had there, but they did last 20 years so I got good use of them.
I missed my privacy too, I spend a lot of time sat at the garden table when I'm there and like to eat at the table or have my coffee. When the family/friends visit we are outside. Having next doors wee 3ft fence made me feel as if I was on display all the time.
This is what I used to have......painted as you can see.  :grin:

dextrous63

Am surprised the old cheap waney edge panels lasted that long in your neck of the woods.