Row with Germany

Started by Alex, October 31, 2023, 07:27:58 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Germany is attempting to block the sale of 48 British Typhoon jets to Saudi Arabia in a move which would potentially cost 6,000 jobs and blow a £15 billion hole in the UK economy.

The row centres on Berlin's commitment to vetoing the sale of the aircraft to the Saudis over concerns they would use them to attack Yemen.

However, a memo has warned that if the order is blocked, BAE Systems' production lines will be forced to close immediately.

To add insult to injury, Emmanuel Macron's France is waiting in the wings, and could cash in if the country instead opts to buy their Rafale fighter.

We're no longer in the EU so can anybody explain how this could happen  ?

Daily Express

klondike

Zey haf vays of stopping us work.  :grin:

Other than that no but if I see one of the stories I'll read it. I don't even trust the date on the Express tbh they are often full of clickbait bs but it could well be true somehow.

Alex

" One-third of the components that make up the Eurofighter are German. Consequently, Berlin has a veto on any export of that multinational European jet and has decided to exercise it. "

This was in Forbes, if it's true who on earth agreed to it ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2023/10/22/rafales-for-riyadh-saudi-arabia-considers-buying-french-fighter-jets-for-first-time/

JBR

This confirms what I have been saying for years.
In this particular instance:
- Germany dictates that we may not sell fighters to Saudi Arabia
- At the same time, France decides to sell fighters to Saudi Arabia

The EU continues to try to punish us for leaving their empire.
Our weak government simply gives in every time.
Goodbye UK.  It has been nice knowing you.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

The French were smart enough to either not use German components in theirs or agreed different terms.

dextrous63

We've got a load of spare dinghies.  Wonder if Saudi would buy them from us?!