Netflix scam

Started by Michael Rolls, October 30, 2023, 07:02:14 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Had an email - which I did not open - from Netfl'x - easy to misread the sender - no idea what the conetent might have been
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

I thought you could open emails like that as long as you don't click on any links. ? 

Alex

Thanks 🙏 confirm s it.

Michael Rolls

if you read the whole article it doesn't seem quite that clear cut.
[email protected]

klondike

They could gain the same information a browser sends to a website if it's an html email. I've never worried about that or picked up malware from one. I rarely if ever see one anyway as the spam filter removes them first.

Alex

I only read up to
"if you open an email from a scammer without interacting with it, it won't infect your machine, "

I'll read it all again later  :upvote:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Scrumpy

I don't open any email that I am wary of.. Certainly not from my bank..  I'm not saying that I am smart.. I just think it is best to ignore the bloody lot.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

So would you look at an eMail with the title...

Microsoft account security alert

Alex

I think I'd be taken in if it was Microsoft !  :wink:

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 30, 2023, 05:20:00 PMI don't open any email that I am wary of.. Certainly not from my bank..  I'm not saying that I am smart.. I just think it is best to ignore the bloody lot..

Absolutely and another sign of the achievements, of which this modern world is so proud of ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

Quote from: Alex on October 31, 2023, 01:58:21 PMI think I'd be taken in if it was Microsoft !  :wink:
Actually it's genuine. It's about an MS account I created to get a new PC going but which is never used as I replaced it with a personal account later. Somebody had got into it and modified the password as I couldn't access it and had to reset it. It had a weak password that I may well have used on other unimportant stuff so I'll need to check for that.

This was the content.

Microsoft account
Security alert
We think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account kw**[email protected]. When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password the next time you sign in.
If someone else has access to your account, they have your password and might be trying to access your personal information or send junk email.
If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.
Recover account
Learn how to make your account more secure.
Thanks,
The Microsoft account team

I used no links in it in case it was an email sent by the hackers. I got in by using the genuine MS login address.

Now had I simply ignored that one I wouldn't have known that the account had been compromised. Not important in this case but what if I was using it still on the PC?

Scrumpy

Quote from: klondike on October 31, 2023, 12:55:20 PMSo would you look at an eMail with the title...

Microsoft account security alert
No, no I would not.. Simply because I have no idea what is being said..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..