« previous - next »

dextrous63

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

morty

klondike

Alex

dextrous63

For those that haven't crossed swords with me on this stuff, FYI I kinda hope/believe there is a deity but am absolutely convinced that all religions are bollocks and man made.

It is entirely illogical and indeed desultory to believe that god is singularly incapable of advising humans what they ought to do directly, and instead rely on word of mouth mistranslated over the millennia.

As such, religion is bullshit, but IMHO faith is not.  Hope that makes sense.

klondike

Just convert to catholicism on your death bed, tell a priest all your sins, all is forgiven. Allow plenty of time for the confessing bit.

Alex

I was brought up a Catholic and went to a convent school so I was pretty much brainwashed.  Now I'm
old, I'm feeling there must be something and have thought about going back, maybe I will one day.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on October 27, 2023, 11:15:03 AMI was brought up a Catholic and went to a convent school so I was pretty much brainwashed.  Now I'm
old, I'm feeling there must be something and have thought about going back, maybe I will one day.
My mother made me go to church every Sunday (though my dad was a confirmed atheist).
When younger, I was (briefly) in the choir at Bradford Cathedral and, probably due to friendly persuasion, joined in confirmation classes and was confirmed there.

After joining the RAF, I learnt that there ain't no such animal as God, or any other creatures of different religions under different names.
I am now a confirmed Atheist.

To be honest, the notion of an all powerful god has persisted for thousands of years.  More recently, though, more and more people refuse to believe in a supernatural being without having any concrete evidence.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

To be honest, the notion of an all powerful god

The Romans, Greeks, Norsemen and doubtless many other groups all believed in a plethora of gods. Maybe some still do.

The difference between an atheist and a christian (or for that matter muslim) is that the atheist believes in one less god than they do.

morty

It might be all fanciful hogwash but it's given my brother a sense of direction and purpose for most of his adult life.
The only time I saw him struggle with life and appear most unhappy was when he had a brief spell where he questioned his Faith, or more specifically felt God has let him down. 

We don't know all the answers, science certainly hasn't provided them all so unless someone morphs into a ravening mad terrorist lunatic trying to kill or convert me I tend to say .. Good for them, or even God for them.

JBR

Quote from: morty on October 27, 2023, 05:12:43 PMIt might be all fanciful hogwash but it's given my brother a sense of direction and purpose for most of his adult life.
The only time I saw him struggle with life and appear most unhappy was when he had a brief spell where he questioned his Faith, or more specifically felt God has let him down.

No worries.  He'll grow out of it.

Cassandra

Hated religion all my life. As a child I used to dodge 'Sunday School' lessons and cycle around the graveyard, reading the stones for an hour. Returning home and if asked invent stories on what we'd learnt? Easy to fabricate based on 3 principals viz:

He's it
Your shit
Thats it!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on October 28, 2023, 11:14:54 AMHated religion all my life. As a child I used to dodge 'Sunday School' lessons and cycle around the graveyard, reading the stones for an hour. Returning home and if asked invent stories on what we'd learnt? Easy to fabricate based on 3 principals viz:

He's it
Your shit
Thats it!
🤣👍

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]