Winter Fuel Allowance

Started by GrannyMac, October 23, 2023, 07:48:33 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

Has anyone had their letter?  The extra £300 is being paid again this year.  Under 80s will get £500, £600 for over 80s - per household.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment#:~:text=This%20is%20between%20£150,available%20in%20Welsh%20(Cymraeg).
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I haven't received a letter.. I don't remember a letter arriving as early as October..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

No letter yet. I did hear that Royal Mail can have weeks delay in letter post and it's only the tracked stuff that arrives in anything like a reasonable time.
https://www.cityam.com/royal-mail-delivery-disasters-continue-amid-reports-of-delays-and-lost-letters/

The extra is nice but it's high time all the standard regular payments were rolled into the basic pension then they would get a regular increase. That £10 Christmas bonus Brown gave out for a cheer in the commons wouldn't but a couple of drinks or a packet of fags these days and that is with years of low inflation.

Alex

No letter here, it seems a bit early but then the shops are full of tinsel, just hope they don't start with the crimbo music yet  :grin:

Scrumpy

I went to a garden centre last week.. Full to overflowing with Christmas stuff.. Bloody expensive too..  Singing Christmas trees and Snowmen.. Horrible..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

I got the letter, dated 9/10/23, about ten days ago
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

No letter for me either but, as has been said, it's only October - virtually summer here!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on October 23, 2023, 09:14:39 AMNo letter yet. I did hear that Royal Mail can have weeks delay in letter post and it's only the tracked stuff that arrives in anything like a reasonable time.
https://www.cityam.com/royal-mail-delivery-disasters-continue-amid-reports-of-delays-and-lost-letters/

The extra is nice but it's high time all the standard regular payments were rolled into the basic pension then they would get a regular increase. That £10 Christmas bonus Brown gave out for a cheer in the commons wouldn't but a couple of drinks or a packet of fags these days and that is with years of low inflation.
That would of course make it taxable, which might stop some of the complaints about rich pensioners getting it. It would also upset Brian.😖
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Yes it would wouldn't it. It would be easy enough to have a tax allowance to cover that if they wanted to retain the tax free nature of it although I don't see that as a necessity. It must cost them money to calculate eligibility and send out letters each year along with admin of the additional payment too. It's a load of fuss caused by Brown who could have just increased the state pension had he not gone in for gimmicks.

1955vintage

My wine merchant has been informed.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Raven

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on October 23, 2023, 04:18:48 PMYes it would wouldn't it. It would be easy enough to have a tax allowance to cover that if they wanted to retain the tax free nature of it although I don't see that as a necessity. It must cost them money to calculate eligibility and send out letters each year along with admin of the additional payment too. It's a load of fuss caused by Brown who could have just increased the state pension had he not gone in for gimmicks.

Far too eayy for Labour, firstly make it complex then employ at least 500,000 extra civil servants complete with 5,000 diversity managers on top ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

JBR

A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire