no more leaves on the lines!

Started by Michael Rolls, October 05, 2023, 05:13:25 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Perhaps set the illegals to sweeping them up. One bag gets 10 mins in a hotel.

Alternately located under the track and told to blow any away that settle

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 05, 2023, 10:36:54 AMIt is true that stopping the leaves getting on the lines would be the most effective way.  However, the root structure and trees themselves are an integral part of any embankments (and were always designed to be).  Removing them may well cause a load of problems. 
Maybe at the time they were built in the 1800s & early 1900s that could have been the case but we should be looking at 2023 methods of stopping the leaves which should include 2023 technology for reinforcing the embankments where needed, not blowing the leaves away which is a temporary sticking plaster method.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Quote from: Diasi on October 05, 2023, 04:43:17 PMMaybe at the time they were built in the 1800s & early 1900s that could have been the case but we should be looking at 2023 methods of stopping the leaves which should include 2023 technology for reinforcing the embankments where needed, not blowing the leaves away which is a temporary sticking plaster method.
There are a lot of embankments.  

A relatively simple solution would be to install netting😉

JBR

Quote from: klondike on October 05, 2023, 01:38:49 PMPerhaps set the illegals to sweeping them up. One bag gets 10 mins in a hotel.

Alternately located under the track and told to blow any away that settle

Are those sleepers underneath the tracks?

No, the nearer part of the tracks.  Supporting it until they can find some more wood?
I think the illegal invaders would be good at that.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

One  does puzzle me. Is it only us that have trees?

dextrous63

I watched Bridge on the River Kwai a couple of months ago, and I think they had some trees over there.

Wiki informs that North America and the Netherlands also suffers from trees.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 05, 2023, 05:49:05 PMI watched Bridge on the River Kwai a couple of months ago, and I think they had some trees over there.

Wiki informs that North America and the Netherlands also suffers from trees.
We went to New Hampshire several years ago to visit our relatives.
To be honest, it looked to me wherever I looked that the entire world was full of trees.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

One of my memories is flying into New York in October and as we slowly descended, the browns, orange and gold of the thousands of trees was wonderful.

Scrumpy

I saw some trees in Australia once.. We were in a rain Forrest..
I would have liked to have visited Japan in their Spring when all the blossoms are out.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

You might be fascinated to know that there is already a fleet of trains running about cleaning the rails and they were introduced (and developed by BR) before privatisation, so possibly they are being renewed and/or augmented. They will be scheduled to run where leaf fall is a known problem, at least in theory.

Network rail has a policy of removing trees from the lineside where practicable, but many of the trees are on adjacent land, and some land owners will not allow their trees to be cut back.

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on October 06, 2023, 09:56:48 PMYou might be fascinated to know that there is already a fleet of trains running about cleaning the rails and they were introduced (and developed by BR) before privatisation, so possibly they are being renewed and/or augmented. They will be scheduled to run where leaf fall is a known problem, at least in theory.

Network rail has a policy of removing trees from the lineside where practicable, but many of the trees are on adjacent land, and some land owners will not allow their trees to be cut back.
The law allows overhanging branches to be lopped & then chucked onto the landowners property.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

Quote from: Diasi on October 07, 2023, 06:22:59 AMThe law allows overhanging branches to be lopped & then chucked onto the landowners property.
The branches don't overhang. The trees can be anywhere, the wind and the draught from the trains move them about. Damp leaves stick to the rails and the wheels.

dextrous63

The law does not permit that as technically, it could be viewed as fly-tipping.

One should offer any overhanging branches that one has lopped off, but the tree owner is of no obligation to accept it.

In any case, with regard to the trees that are probably causing the majority of the problems, these are likely to be growing on the land that the railways own.