John LEWIS

Started by Alex, October 04, 2023, 11:43:18 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

John Lewis hired a boss with NO retail experience whose disastrous reign saw stores shuttered, staff bonuses axed and £234m losses. 
Dame Sharon White is an ex civil servant who was the boss of Ofcom, so why on earth would John Lewis give her the top job ? It may be something to do with diversity of course

I like John Lewis, particularly at Christmas time but my nearest branch closed down a couple of years ago.  I hope it doesn't go the way of BHS, Wilko to name just two.

klondike

Go woke go broke?

I don't use them so not fussed.

Diasi

I speak from personal experience of them when I say that the top civil servants with whom I came into contact were not fit for purpose.

Many of them were fast track recruited with useless degrees, we had one who was qualified in Egyptology, or are promoted to the top where they can't do much damage, as those lower down the ranks do their best to mitigate for the stupidity from the top.

We had a Waitrose, where we shopped from choice, in St Ives (Cambs)
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

A school I worked in appointed a physics teacher who was a head of science in a different school, to take the job as head of History.  What swing the vote in her favour was that she had a degree from Cambridge and the school had delusions of grandeur.

Raven

I like John Lewis and usually drop in to the one in Perth when I'm down there, BUT, I find their sizes are more than a bit nippit and usually have to buy a size up from my usual.  They are a bit on the expensive side too so it has to be something I really like before I'll buy it.
Because of the sizes problem I can never buy online it will always have to be a shop.  :boo:

Alex

The telly I've got is from John Lewis, it must be more than ten years old, it's a Plasma  :smiley: uses more leccy than a modern one I believe, they gave a 5 year guarantee.  My new washing machine was from them too, their price was better than Currys or AOK

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on October 04, 2023, 01:29:20 PMI speak from personal experience of them when I say that the top civil servants with whom I came into contact were not fit for purpose.

Many of them were fast track recruited with useless degrees, we had one who was qualified in Egyptology, or are promoted to the top where they can't do much damage, as those lower down the ranks do their best to mitigate for the stupidity from the top.

We had a Waitrose, where we shopped from choice, in St Ives (Cambs)

I can confirm your views personally when prosecuting them once, what a collection of little beauts!

More woke than California!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on October 04, 2023, 09:37:45 PMThe telly I've got is from John Lewis, it must be more than ten years old, it's a Plasma  :smiley: uses more leccy than a modern one I believe, they gave a 5 year guarantee.  My new washing machine was from them too, their price was better than Currys or AOK
Our vacuum and TV were from JL. I won't use them now, Sheffield Council gave them £3 million to buy out their lease, which they took, and still left the city. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

John Lewis. !!!!  The name says it all.. British.. Quality..
I have used them.. and I enjoy their stores.. Their Christmas ads have been great... but getting a bit too Woke for me.
 Seeing more stores closing means the disappearance of our high street as we knew it.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..