EV Charge Rage.

Started by Raven, October 03, 2023, 07:15:09 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

This story popped up on my news today, I had no idea it was going on. All it's done though is make me even more thankful that I don't want an EV. Another government idea that's not been thought through properly.  :waiting:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/02/marshals-are-being-brought-in-to-police-rows-between-ev-drivers-19588089/

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on October 03, 2023, 07:15:09 AMThis story popped up on my news today, I had no idea it was going on. All it's done though is make me even more thankful that I don't want an EV. Another government idea that's not been thought through properly.  :waiting:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/02/marshals-are-being-brought-in-to-police-rows-between-ev-drivers-19588089/
Oh yes, it's not uncommon for EV drivers to have to drive round looking for an available charging point & it's not uncommon for it to take well over an hour before their car is charged if other cars are being charged.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I had no idea Phil, but up here in the edge of the world we have very few charging points. Only one I've seen is over in Wick when I go to the big Tesco. Here it's all Land Rovers and other farm and rough road vehicles and they are all petrol/diesel.
I suppose there are more because some of the tourists will have them, maybe there's a list online of them. But then comes another question.......Will it be working?
Nope I will not ever have one.

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on October 03, 2023, 07:36:11 AMI had no idea Phil, but up here in the edge of the world we have very few charging points. Only one I've seen is over in Wick when I go to the big Tesco. Here it's all Land Rovers and other farm and rough road vehicles and they are all petrol/diesel.
I suppose there are more because some of the tourists will have them, maybe there's a list online of them. But then comes another question.......Will it be working?
Nope I will not ever have one.
If you watch the full video clip you'll see what an absolute stress driving an EV any distance away from home is.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Why not carry a diesel or petrol generator in the boot.  You'd have a diy hybrid.

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 03, 2023, 07:55:54 AMWhy not carry a diesel or petrol generator in the boot.  You'd have a diy hybrid.
:upvote: :grin:
[email protected]

Raven

Just watched the full half hour video, WOW, no way would I use one. It's 247 miles from my home in Perth to Duncs place up north, never seen one charger on the A9. I sometimes go over to Durness never seen any chargers on the way, it's a 200 mile journey from our place to there....

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on October 03, 2023, 08:10:27 AMJust watched the full half hour video, WOW, no way would I use one. It's 247 miles from my home in Perth to Duncs place up north, never seen one charger on the A9. I sometimes go over to Durness never seen any chargers on the way, it's a 200 mile journey from our place to there....
And he was lucky on the journey down to Wales because if there'd been car in the charging point he would have had to wait probably 45 minutes for the car in front to finish charging & then the hour it took his car to charge.

In that 1 hour 45 minutes he'd have virtually been at his destination in a petrol / diesel car.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

bears out what so many of us have been saying all along. There is one charging point at the Co-op in Coupar Angus. The next nearest are the other side of Perth at the Broxden Park & Ride - about 6 points from memory
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

My son-in-law has a very upmarket EV, and a fast charger at home. Great to use locally, any real distance and he takes his van.  I think he's looking at changing to a hybrid. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on October 03, 2023, 07:39:05 AMIf you watch the full video clip you'll see what an absolute stress driving an EV any distance away from home is.
Yes, I watched the entire video and it has confirmed my determination not to buy an electric car.
OK for a short journey, if I had a home charger, but anything further and I'd be completely stressed out at best, and possibly stranded at worse.

Of course, there are disadvantages other than range anxiety not discussed on the video.
What would the car be worth after several years of use?  I understand that the batteries begin to reduce their charge capacity, which would result in range reduction and eventually need for replacement.

I have heard that when a new battery is needed the cost is likely to approach the cost of a completely new car!  If that is an exaggeration, nevertheless it is an expensive layout just to keep the car going.  Of course, all cars require maintenance, but a new battery is, I believe, an expensive 'repair'.

Finally, you hear about fires!  OK, any car can ignite following an accident, though a petrol/diesel fire is unlikely and probably not as fearsome as a battery fire, reports I have read talk about the fire being so intense that even the fire brigade can take hours to completely put the thing out.  No, too dangerous for my liking.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Well they did promise us that the green revolution would produce jobs. No filling marshals on the petrol or diesel pumps. I expect the yanks will be arming theirs. Actually I expect they'd have to.

Diasi

If you search for Petrol Ped on YouTube you'll find a shed load of EV video clips from him & others.
[email protected]

Diasi

It was the Audi e-tron, which start at £70,000, with a stated range of 259 miles that he tested.

And he wasn't impressed which is why he gave his video the title of 'This is why people don't buy EVs, it's just not good enough !'
[email protected]

klondike

My son has an EV. He uses it for his daily commute and charges it at home. He also has a diesel which he uses for holidays. EVs are fine so long as you also have a proper car.